Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu tar and chip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
Apologies for the rant but i'm pissed off!

For cyclists in central Scotland the Crow Road is one of the "famous" climbs and a popular route that many clubs and individuals will ride. The surface of it, particularly on the north side of it however pretty ropey and the roads that lead to and from the north side (especially towards Carron Valley) are extremely poor. So a few months ago i was along that way and there was some lovely, freshly laid smooth tarmac on the way to Fintry which i hoped was the start of some much needed repairs. Had a couple of rides over this but had not been up that way for a couple of months. Head up that way today hoping that some more resurfacing has happened. Indeed it has :cursing: They've only come along and sprayed that horrible shitty mix of tar and gravel on the lovely new bit of road so now there are piles of gravel at the edge and in the centre and the good surface has not only been ruined in terms of it being pleasurable cycling road but also IMO made dangerous to cyclists and motorcyclists as a result. The exact same thing happened with the Old Glasgow Road to Stewarton - lovely fresh tarmac, really good job done which is there for a few months then they've gone and put their shitmix on top a few weeks back.

What a waste of money! I dont agree with it but can understand that some might see there being a certain economic reasoning behind puting the shoot mix down as a cheap repear on poorly surfaced roads but why kill the good ones and waste the money and effort that was taken in doing a good job in the first place?

FUUUUUUUUUU.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
Helmet threads are so yesterday, the trendies are all on surface dressing threads now:biggrin:.

Anyway here is the explanation, and it all sounds very reasonable
http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/sdtext.htm

Our council love`s surface dressing especially knackered old roads that need complete reconstruction thats why we offically have the worst roads in the UK.And they never seem to give even the slightest consideration to cyclists or motorbikes or the effect it has on them. As long as cars and lorries can use it then it must be ok.

I am glad the OP pointed out the Fintry area roads, I thought I was just a bit confused, as coming off the Top o' the World descent I was looking forward to the smooth new bit east of town...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The best road in and out of Whitehaven had exactly the same. before it was a beautiful smooth surface, the they dressed it and it now has ruts all over it and the surface is knackered.

Extending the life of bad roads is one thing, but damaging perfectly good surfaces is ridiculous.

U

User6179

Apologies for the rant but i'm pissed off!

For cyclists in central Scotland the Crow Road is one of the "famous" climbs and a popular route that many clubs and individuals will ride. The surface of it, particularly on the north side of it however pretty ropey and the roads that lead to and from the north side (especially towards Carron Valley) are extremely poor. So a few months ago i was along that way and there was some lovely, freshly laid smooth tarmac on the way to Fintry which i hoped was the start of some much needed repairs. Had a couple of rides over this but had not been up that way for a couple of months. Head up that way today hoping that some more resurfacing has happened. Indeed it has :cursing: They've only come along and sprayed that horrible s***ty mix of tar and gravel on the lovely new bit of road so now there are piles of gravel at the edge and in the centre and the good surface has not only been ruined in terms of it being pleasurable cycling road but also IMO made dangerous to cyclists and motorcyclists as a result. The exact same thing happened with the Old Glasgow Road to Stewarton - lovely fresh tarmac, really good job done which is there for a few months then they've gone and put their s***mix on top a few weeks back.

What a waste of money! I dont agree with it but can understand that some might see there being a certain economic reasoning behind puting the s*** mix down as a cheap repear on poorly surfaced roads but why kill the good ones and waste the money and effort that was taken in doing a good job in the first place?

FUUUUUUUUUU.jpg

The bad bit of road along carron dam has also been fixed and as of saturday had no top dresssing added,heres hoping it stays that way .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stockport Council are doing it on a few roads - made my commute a bit dangerous. Fortunately they have now swept it, but came across a fresh section last night - on a downhill - twitchy bum time.

Bollocks! I was heading that way on Sunday. Is there any on the descent coming off Crow Road towards Fintry. The roads after passing through Fintry are proper third world. I swore so loud I swear it echoed across the hills. A couple of times now I've went over the crow, had a bite and a drink then back over towards lennoxtown.

KEEN CYCLIST

I've wakened up this morning to my buttock dressings sticking to the flesh. My wrists are now in true black and blue shade. My lower back is hurting from a pulled muscle. My elbows and forearms are rashed up with majestic scabs to come. All of this from a high impact with this road heading down towards Fintry.

Travelling around 25-30mph yesterday, having climbed out of Lennoxtown, I was heading down in to Fintry. I was at the bendy parts just before the straight section into Fintry. I was covering the front and rear brakes over the brake hoods with only the required pressure, nothing severe in terms of braking. I felt my rear wheel twitch a couple of times and then at the next bend, the whole of the rear end swung clockwise from beneath me resulting in bumping and spinning to a halt with my face on the grass verge and the rest of me on the road. A motorist stopped immediately behind me and she and her passenger were superb in comforting me intially then helping me onto the verge.

I was taken to hospital by ambulance and my bike was taken and secured by the police. Apparently, 2 weeks before my accident, there was a much more unfortunate incident on the same section of twisting road. This section has not been resurfaced, I know other parts have been 'tinkered' with.

Parts of the accident are starting to come back to me today. Initially, I though the back wheel was twitching because of gravel. But couldn't see gravel on my side or the road - loads at the side though. I then remember commenting on a green asphalt section looking full of enevenness, a bit like orange peel, only with deeper indents. I have been struggling to work out why I lost control of my bike and I can only put it down to this uneven section, perhaps back wheel is continually leaving and the re-touching road surface, resulting in a real and adverse effect on braking.

THIS SECTION OF ROAD HAS TO BE DESCRIBED AS TREACHEROUS, EVEN IN GOOD DRY CONDITION.

I'm not sure if I can drive my car today, but I'm determined to go back and do some proper photos of the offending section.

I've ridden over this road throughout the summer, but always in wet conditions, and must have been taking these corners at about 10-15 mph with no problems on those occasions. But 25mph ish in the summer is dangerous. This shouldn't be the case.

I'd like to thank all the cyclists who stopped and offered their time and help, great guys - thank you! I was unable to cycle the remaining 20 miles home due to mechanical damage to the bike and physical damage to me, the only alternative was ambulance. Thanks guys.

Crow Road was closed today at the Lennoxtown side just at the golf clubhouse. Does anyone know if this means they are resurfacing some more?

Top Bottom