Gah! puncture repair fail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
The times ive forgotten my pump and thought oh crap

Then having to walk home from covert gardens to brixton was umm surreal

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Why not try flagging down a passing cyclist, I know that unless i was in a mad rush, which is very rare, I would happily stop if someone needed to borrow my pump.
When I stop to repair a puncture I usually get a few calls of "are you alright mate". I always say yes, but one time I may need their help.

J.Primus

I've never repaired a p*ncture by the side of the road. I always just put a new inner tube in. Apart from saving about £3 is there any advantage to repairing rather than replacing the inner tube.

I always carry a spare tube,,, its just something I have always done and if I forgot my pump I would just sneak on a garage forecourt.
I also carry spare battery’s and tools as you never know.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Still haven't found the pump, I stuffed the carbon dioxide inflator in the bag this morning. LBS on the way home, at least that way I know I'll find the pump.

Kookas

Über Member
I've never repaired a p*ncture by the side of the road. I always just put a new inner tube in. Apart from saving about £3 is there any advantage to repairing rather than replacing the inner tube.

If you go on a longer journey, you don't have to carry 50 of them with you, you can just repair the one you've got and be on your way. Also, repair kits are smaller than an inner tube. I personally carry both.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Got puncture on the way home, pretty rare event. Stopped, got wheel off, tube out, found the stone that caused it, got new tube out, rummaged around in bag for pump, rummaged some more, upended the bag and got everything out, put it all back in, rummaged around again just to be sure...

Walked the rest of the way. Still haven't found the pump, wonder how long it hasn't been in my bag?

Fool.

What's worse is when you take off the tyre, swap the tube, replace the tyre, find that the end is missing off your pump, ring the Missus, get a lift back home, go to work on the motorbike, get home, then find the end of the pump in the bottom of your pannier......makes you wonder how the pump end can unscrew itself whilst sat in the pannier?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
On the return leg of my ride on Tuesday, I passed a guy on a recumbent who had a puncture and was cursing himself for not taking his toolkit/pump on what was meant to be a quick 10 miles, so I offered him access to my puncture repair kit and pump. I'd just removed a large chunk of glass from the tyre when he discovered that the glue had gone hard as someone (:blush:) hadn't replaced it properly...

On the plus side, he only had a few miles to go, we both learnt a lesson about checking one's kit on a regular basis and taking it with you, and the glass was removed before it could cause further damage. :banghead:

potsy

Rambler
I was convinced I'd punctured on the way home today, as I was literally 1/4 mile from home I carried on slowly, looked down at the back wheel and it looked a bit flat, got home it was fine :unsure:
Think I need to check my tyre pressures :rolleyes:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
On the return leg of my ride on Tuesday, I passed a guy on a recumbent who had a puncture and was cursing himself for not taking his toolkit/pump on what was meant to be a quick 10 miles, so I offered him access to my puncture repair kit and pump. I'd just removed a large chunk of glass from the tyre when he discovered that the glue had gone hard as someone (:blush:) hadn't replaced it properly...

On the plus side, he only had a few miles to go, we both learnt a lesson about checking one's kit on a regular basis and taking it with you, and the glass was removed before it could cause further damage. :banghead:

Leeches are your friend

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_207893_langId_-1_categoryId_228377

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Why not try flagging down a passing cyclist, I know that unless i was in a mad rush, which is very rare, I would happily stop if someone needed to borrow my pump.
When I stop to repair a puncture I usually get a few calls of "are you alright mate". I always say yes, but one time I may need their help.
+1 If I go out for a ride any further than the nearest supermarket than I'll always have a pump and a repair kit on me. Unless I forget which bag or pannier my kit is in and don't realise until I'm further from home. I think that there are quite a few cyclists who feel good about doing their bit for roadside camaraderie - on the road you may just be a scalp, stranded at the roadside you're just a fellow cyclist. Besides, I still owe a chap in Catford who nipped back to his house and digged out a spare tube for me a while back.

Top Bottom