game for a boring wednesday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
leave your desk, and you've got 5 minutes to accomplish as many non work-related tasks as you can, without getting told off by the boss.

to kick off, and by way of example, i just:

1 cleaned by cup out
2 went for a pee
3 made a cuppa
4 read a bit of the metro newspaper
5 bought some crisps.

someone will surely do better than that…

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:
leave your desk, and you've got 5 minutes to accomplish as many non work-related tasks as you can, without getting told off by the boss.

to kick off, and by way of example, i just:

1 cleaned by cup out
2 went for a pee
3 made a cuppa
4 read a bit of the metro newspaper
5 bought some crisps.

someone will surely do better than that…

um.. It's Tuesday...

Maz

Guru
I've just been investigating why the self-closing mechanism on our office door isn't shutting the door properly and have used a ring-binder spine as a makeshift screwdriver to tighten the screws.

It still doesn't close properly, though.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I think I may have to rule myself out of this challenge due to my boss sitting next to me and not being bothered in the slightest as he watches me type this post...

One challenge we did get away with in my previous department was the vodka challenge. Starting from the desk furthest from the exit, sprint the length of the office, through reception, across the road and into the pub. Order and down a shot of vodka (or other premium spirit), then leg it back. The record was 1minute 20secs!

NickM

Veteran
When I worked in Stormont (a long time ago), a bus was laid on to take the workforce shopping at lunchtimes (it's a long way from any shops, and the drive* is more than a mile long). There was a pub near the shops... you had about 20 minutes. The record was six pints of lager ;)

*edit: when I say "drive", I mean the path to the front door...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My PC keyboard had got really dirty once so I decided to clean it. I took all the keycaps off and was cleaning them one by one. It wasn't long before I had an angry supervisor shouting at me. Soon after that, the department manager heard the commotion and came across to join in...

Them: "WTF are you doing ;)!"

Me: "You can see what I'm doing!"

Them: "Why are you cleaning your f***ing keyboard xx(!"

Me: "Obviously, because it is dirty!"

Them: "We don't pay you to f***ing clean f***ing keyboards :ohmy:!"

Me: "It's become a health hazard!"

Them: "Well chuck the f***ing thing out and get a new one from the IT department then :biggrin:!"

Me: "There's nothing wrong with it, it just needs a good clean. I don't believe in this throwaway culture. I'm cleaning it!"

Them: "WE DON'T F***ING PAY YOU TO F***ING CLEAN F***ING KEYBOARDS :smile:!"

Me: "AND YOU DON'T PAY ME FOR THE 90 MINUTES OF OVERTIME I DO EVERY EVENING EITHER, NOR FOR THE 6 HOURS I DID WHEN I VOLUNTEERED TO COME IN LAST SATURDAY, NOR FOR MY RAIL FARE THAT DAY. I'M NEARLY FINISHED CLEANING MY KEYBOARD. YOU DON'T PAY ME TO SIT AROUND ARGUING WITH YOU EITHER!!!"

They gave up at that point...

Just recounting that story reminds me why I will never work in an office again :biggrin:!

NickM

Veteran
Colin, that precis... sorry, I thought about it but the article just cannot be boiled down that much without losing the essence of it. I clearly don't have your drive - good luck with your project!

ColinJ

NickM said:
Colin, that precis... sorry, I thought about it but the article just cannot be boiled down that much without losing the essence of it. I clearly don't have your drive - good luck with your project!
Hi Nick - I was thinking of you when I made the post above!

I'm very lucky in getting the chance to escape the office, but it took a near breakdown to persuade me.

Referring to that project - in the end, I decided that it is best for me to work alone, but if you ever decide to try out some of the things I suggested, I'd be happy to point you in the direction of some things to read. The trouble is having to play at being a capitalist when one's heart isn't quite in it! You'd probably be good at it, but you'd hate it...

ColinJ

I've just noticed that this PC keyboard is dirty, but I'm not going to clean it in my time ;)!

I admit that I was being a bit bolshy in that office job, but that's what comes of companies not treating their employees with respect! If I'd felt appreciated, I would have cleaned the keyboard during my lunch break but I'd taken so much crap that I just thought F*** 'em!

gbb

Legendary Member
Maz said:
I've just been investigating why the self-closing mechanism on our office door isn't shutting the door properly and have used a ring-binder spine as a makeshift screwdriver to tighten the screws.

It still doesn't close properly, though.

[puts on work hat]
Assuming the whole thing isnt loose or cream crackered anyway, under the cover, there are two screws.
One adjusts the speed it closes at, the other adjusts the damping...ie when its nearly closed, the damping slows it down and closes gently.
[takes off work hat]

Maz

Guru
gbb said:
[puts on work hat]
Assuming the whole thing isnt loose or cream crackered anyway, under the cover, there are two screws.
One adjusts the speed it closes at, the other adjusts the damping...ie when its nearly closed, the damping slows it down and closes gently.
[takes off work hat]
Now that you say that, I'll have another crack at it...

Ta.

Top Bottom