Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Indeed.

I need to go do some cycling elsewhere if I'm going to come up with anything difficult.

If you had done that, I would be thinking that there must be something on the right that was too much of a giveaway, so you cropped it out. But then I would have to guess what that missing thing might be... :whistle:

The easiest option would be to use a Street View picture but pan the camera round to get something like this...

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
It was a good effort, but South Wales, NNE road, and windfarm does narrow the search down a lot!
I'm on holiday so I don't have access to my printed maps, and the OS option on Bing maps was painfully slow to load this evening so that wasn't much use. And I'd forgotten the NNE clue, not that I'd seen its confirmation. I don't know the road either, but the place I first remember seeing a large windfarm in South Wales was north-eastish from Bridgend, so I started looking there.

Here's a photo taken this evening from the place where I'm staying:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm on holiday so I don't have access to my printed maps, and the OS option on Bing maps was painfully slow to load this evening so that wasn't much use. And I'd forgotten the NNE clue, not that I'd seen its confirmation. I don't know the road either, but the place I first remember seeing a large windfarm in South Wales was north-eastish from Bridgend, so I started looking there.
In that case I would upgrade my assessment to an 'excellent' effort! :okay:

I found it fairly quickly after you had posted, but I have all the OS maps available.

Alex321

Veteran
View attachment 609747

If you had done that, I would be thinking that there must be something on the right that was too much of a giveaway, so you cropped it out. But then I would have to guess what that missing thing might be... :whistle:

The easiest option would be to use a Street View picture but pan the camera round to get something like this...

View attachment 609752
I somehow feel that using the streetview mage is cheating a bit, though I suppose so long as it is somewhere you have actually ridden it is Ok.

Incidentally, there is a blooming great valley between the photo location and the village (Gilfach Goch) you can see.. As you can see from the elevation profile on my Roam in my photo, I was just about to start down it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I somehow feel that using the streetview mage is cheating a bit, though I suppose so long as it is somewhere you have actually ridden it is Ok.
The original idea was to use our own photos but several of us started to run out!

I use my own photos if I have them, but if I have been somewhere interesting and don't have them I use Street View pictures instead.

Mr Celine

Discordian
View attachment 609747

View attachment 609752

Alternatively have some bright primary colours in the foreground. This distracts some puzzlers, while others waste time photoshopping them out. :whistle:

Mr Celine

Discordian

Here's a photo taken this evening from the place where I'm staying:

View attachment 609748
Evening, so the angle of the rainbow suggests west coast. Looks like the raised beaches around Kintyre, start looking there....
Didn't take long^_^https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.5...RKKM_QJxPPkSbjJYZwgw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well deduced, @Mr Celine. It seems I'd left a lot of pointers without fully realising it. I thought I was going to have to leave you all to mull it over while I go out today enjoying this glorious location, I wasn't sure if the mist rolling in from the sea in Street View might have hindered identification.

The original idea was to use our own photos but several of us started to run out!

I use my own photos if I have them, but if I have been somewhere interesting and don't have them I use Street View pictures instead.

In the four years or so this thread has been running, hasn't anyone else had time to take photos specifically for this thread? Have I ever driven anywhere specifically for this purpose? I have a feeling I might have!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I wasn't sure if the mist rolling in from the sea in Street View might have hindered identification
It didn't really Macca it any harder! :whistle:

In the four years or so this thread has been running, hasn't anyone else had time to take photos specifically for this thread?
I keep meaning to. I have found the old stem-mounted bag which I used to use to carry my phone, ready for photo-ops. My current phone is too big for it but my compact Canon camera is a snug fit and takes better photos anyway.

Top Bottom