Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If yes, still there or demolished?

2018:
chimney 2018.jpg

March 2022 (top section already gone):
chimney 2022.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Well found Guy!

Point of order... :whistle:

Ok, it isn't a railway NOW but the cycle path to Glasson Dock follows the course of a dismantled railway line! :okay:

That lane has always been a lane and was never part of the old railway.

if you look at this hundred year old map, my SV shot was taken from the '16' marker and the old railway is shown to the east, veering toward Lune Mills to which the chimney was the power station for. :smile:

The chimney would have been fully dismantled but the mobile phone masts on it meant it had to stay at least until their contracts had expired. The old power station dates from 1949. It's a nice chunk of bricks and is classed as a heritage site, but isn't listed... so will probably be completely demolished in the near future :sad:

As for Guy's entry... That looks like a wind turbine just in view on the right.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The embankment was probably to keep floodwaters from the Lune back so it could be argued that the fact that there also used to be a railway has nothing to do with it!

there used to be a railway, but... the only evidence of it in this challenge is this hedge:

- NTRoldrialwaytrack.jpg

the dyke/long lump thing, i believe, came long after the railway was axed. :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
there used to be a railway, but... the only evidence of it in this challenge is this hedge:

View attachment 668907

the dyke/long lump thing, i believe, came long after the railway was axed. :smile:

Oh, I see where I went wrong... I thought we were looking west from Aldcliffe, not looking north having turned right at the end of what Google Maps calls Aldcliffe Hall Ln, but my OS map calls Railway Crossing Ln. That makes sense now!

(That also explains why I couldn't spot the chimney!)

OMG I KNOW A ROAD !

Although calling it a road is a bit generous...

GuyBoden

Guru
It's the NCN 5 across the Frodsham Marshes. First did it on a 25mm race bike and my pals cursed me for that. Just the one flat.
Went back about 5 years later on a gravelbike - bit better but I felt sorry for the poor lady on her purple brompton I met riding it.

The runway at Port Stanley was smoother in the 80s.

View attachment 668910

Well done, it's an interesting route, I've only been able to ride that gravel path in recent years on bigger tyres, the old racing bike tyres were too narrow for comfort.

The whole path to Ellesmere port entails; Wind Farms, Bird watchers, Hovercraft circuits, Fertilizer Factories, Hydrogen Plants, Oil Refineries and Big ships where the Manchester Ship canal meets the river mersey. It's got all the visitor attractions anyone needs.:laugh:

Top Bottom