Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Two contrasting views of the same place this time. I don't think this will be too difficult...

And if you didn't get it instantly:

Good luck!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I guess you're all hoping for a clue, so here is a photo taken from the top of the big hill on the left looking back:

The S-bend in the first two pictures can be seen a little above and to the left of centre.

Anyway, I must stop rabbiting on.

robjh

Legendary Member
That clue was a bit TOO obvious! :laugh:
It certainly was. My ears pricked up and I hopped straight to the answer when I saw it, though I had to burrow around a bit on streetview.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was going to say it's close to hare... :laugh:

I have been Streetviewing up and down that road and the nearby ones. I can't find the exact spot either.

I am beginning to suspect that the pictures were sneakily taken from Bishop's Hill looking down over Fox's Lane, rather than from the road itself... :whistle:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
From about where the red arrow is pointing to?
Pretty much spot on. To be fair, you get a much better view of the overall scene than you would from the anywhere on the road.

As primary school kids on our three-speeds (if you were lucky :sad:) the ultimate challenge was to complete the mountainous circuit over Isle Hill, right at the crossroads to Ecchinswell and back to Kingsclere. RwGPS tells me it was exactly five miles. :thumbsup:

But the jewel in the crown is the road heading south from the Fossicks crossroads over the downs. It winds its way through more glorious countryside before joining the B-road about 5 miles to the south. Somehow I must get to do that at least once more.

The cemetery to the west of Kingsclere has a convenient tap.

robjh

Legendary Member
Pretty much spot on. To be fair, you get a much better view of the overall scene than you would from the anywhere on the road.

View attachment 575317

As primary school kids on our three-speeds (if you were lucky :sad:) the ultimate challenge was to complete the mountainous circuit over Isle Hill, right at the crossroads to Ecchinswell and back to Kingsclere. RwGPS tells me it was exactly five miles. :thumbsup:

But the jewel in the crown is the road heading south from the Fossicks crossroads over the downs. It winds its way through more glorious countryside before joining the B-road about 5 miles to the south. Somehow I must get to do that at least once more.

The cemetery to the west of Kingsclere has a convenient tap.
That jewel in the crown you mention - is that the Ecchinswell to Whitchurch road? I rode that a few years ago and thought it was wonderful, though I didn't realise until last night that I'd passed by Watership Down.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
That jewel in the crown you mention - is that the Ecchinswell to Whitchurch road? I rode that a few years ago and thought it was wonderful, though I didn't realise until last night that I'd passed by Watership Down.
Yes, that's the one. It works sell in both directions. Heading south I always used to appreciate the breather in the middle of the steep hill.

I've just realised you and @ColinJ kind of dead-heated on this one. If you want to post the next one I'm sure he won't mind. :okay:

Top Bottom