Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was so similar from memory I thought you must be confused - so I checked.

On the OS map it's a perfect match down to the wood below to the right.

But of course you were right - see streetview below. It's remarkably similar mind.

Please forgive my impertinence!

View attachment 574253
Great minds think alike - I have just Streetviewed up there myself!

My guess is that...

... it is somewhere in the Yorkshire Dales! :whistle:

And MY clue is that there are no dry stone walls, so look on the OS map for yellow roads with dashed lines both sides.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And MY clue is that there are no dry stone walls, so look on the OS map for yellow roads with dashed lines both sides.
And it is a very minor road...

Not the Forest of Bowland, though the general area does share a suffix with the Forest of Bowland.

Time for an actual clue, and I'll narrow this down a considerable amount since it seems no-one actually recognises the road. I'm surprised as it's a very fine length of tarmac (the location, not so much the surface itself).

It does look rather like Fleet Moss, going southwards out of Hawes, but that's a mere 588m high, whereas the road pictured is higher.

swansonj

Guru
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.6...ryDNbp8DUQnUAWzBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

Weardale to Teesdale, Westgate to Newbiggin?

Edit: if that's right, it's quite a cycle from Clapham!

Correct! Swinhope Head. Joint highest pass in the Pennines and thus presumably the highest pass (as distinct from just a road up and back) in England, at 609m.

The last time I went over that a cloudburst electrical storm started as I came over the top, heading southwards. Seriously scary as there was forked lightning striking every few seconds and there's very little up there that's higher than 'person on a bike'. The road was stream-like and I was balancing the risk of being hit by lightning with the risk of crashing due to going down too fast. Both events avoided, fortunately.

swansonj

Guru
Correct! Swinhope Head. Joint highest pass in the Pennines and thus presumably the highest pass (as distinct from just a road up and back) in England, at 609m.

The last time I went over that a cloudburst electrical storm started as I came over the top, heading southwards. Seriously scary as there was forked lightning striking every few seconds and there's very little up there that's higher than 'person on a bike'. The road was stream-like and I was balancing the risk of being hit by lightning with the risk of crashing due to going down too fast. Both events avoided, fortunately.
The clue about the height was, as you recognised, quite effective in narrowing down the search area dramatically....

Edit: if that's right, it's quite a cycle from Clapham!
It is. I did it from home and back once, but mostly I've gone over it en route to or from visiting friends in Washington. where the North Pennine AONB passes can all be included with a bit of a deviation from the direct route.

The clue about the height was, as you recognised, quite effective in narrowing down the search area dramatically....
Indeed ;-) Not many roads in the UK higher than the one over Fleet Moss. They're probably counted in single digits and all but a couple in the North Pennines.

Top Bottom