Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is pretty much where Monty's shot was taken though I haven't cropped the dark car out...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Honister Pass! :okay:

Just looking for exact location...
absolutely!

It's about halfway up... not far from where i did a swift U turn during a failed attempt to ride over it. I was much happier going downhill :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

absolutely!

It's about halfway up... not far from where i did a swift U turn during a failed attempt to ride over it. I was much happier going downhill :whistle:
I haven't done the big Lake District climbs yet. All being well, I'll treat myself to a cycling holiday in the Lakes in spring 2022, once I have my state pension and (hopefully) Covid-19 is no longer an issue.

Ok, here's my next photo. I have my 'bubble pal' here and I have told her that I reckon one of you will identify the location today. Don't let me down! :okay:

(I'm hoping that I haven't done this one before... It is getting hard to remember all of the previous posts!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Had a hunch it would be close to your previous one and it looked Welsh. Didn't take me too long...

Llyn Cwm Bychan, West of Llanbedr and Harlech. about here... https://maps.app.goo.gl/K3GsPh8eTcRE6ekr5
Ha ha - I told my pal that someone would make that deduction! :okay:

It was a lovely location, but a dead-end road. I headed back down towards Llanbedr but turned left to climb up to the viewpoint at Gelli-bant.

I had a very near-miss on the stretch of road up to the lake. I was looking at the scenery and taking a drink as I rode along. When I looked back at the road I saw a car coming towards me. I steered to the side of the road and my front wheel got caught in a rut causing me to swerve off the road towards a ditch and boulders. One-handed off-roading is not a brilliant idea...! :eek: I narrowly avoiding smashing me and the bike up.

Anyway - over to you for the next photo!

Tribansman

Veteran
Oh... EAST of Llanbedr! West is Shell Island and the sea... :smile:
Yeah, meant East! :wacko:

Does look a beautiful spot, definitely going to explore Wales more when restrictions lift. A long weekend in Snowdonia with my lad hopefully, can't wait.

Right, I took this yesterday. Despite appearances it was bitterly cold with a strong, biting wind. The temperature with wind chill was around -8! Subjected my poor lad to a 22 miler and the way home was mostly into a headwind...although the effort he was putting in meant he stayed considerably warmer than me 🥶

ntr.jpg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Here it is:

Obviously I knew where to start looking from your ICam Rides! Your picture was quite cunningly framed, chopping out the rightmost propellers* but still making it look as though you've included to full installation. It's the markings in the road that make it certain I've found the right place.

* A word it seems I've been spelling wrongly all my life. :blush:

Tribansman

Veteran
Here it is:

View attachment 574000

Obviously I knew where to start looking from your ICam Rides! Your picture was quite cunningly framed, chopping out the rightmost propellers* but still making it look as though you've included to full installation. It's the markings in the road that make it certain I've found the right place.

Good detective work 👍

The turning you can see on the left is a downhill bridleway, took that yesterday as a slight shortcut home, forgot I was on my road bike and slip-slid all the way down in the ice, just about staying upright! Would have been a quagmire if thawed.

Over to you...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks @Tribansman.

My 1960s photo earlier today seemed quite successful, so here is another one. This will probably need historical research at least as much as geographical. The picture was taken in March 1968:

robjh

Legendary Member
Here it is:

View attachment 574000

I've ridden that long slope down to Langford many times and I still didn't recognise it from either picture.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Great pic. Based on a bit of googling, Hayes Way, Bristol?
No, it isn't Bristol.

I have a first series 1:50000 O/S map which shows a single carriageway unclassified road where the current Hayes Way is. In 1968 the M4 stopped just north of Bath, and the M5 was a spur a couple of miles in length heading south from Almondsbury.

But the road in the picture has remained stable since that time.

robjh

Legendary Member
No, it isn't Bristol.

I have a first series 1:50000 O/S map which shows a single carriageway unclassified road where the current Hayes Way is. In 1968 the M4 stopped just north of Bath, and the M5 was a spur a couple of miles in length heading south from Almondsbury.

But the road in the picture has remained stable since that time.
On the basis that the load says 'Concorde', and the main UK construction site was at Filton, Bristol, yet you say this is not Bristol, then it is probably between Bristol and a port. Avonmouth? Southampton?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
On the basis that the load says 'Concorde', and the main UK construction site was at Filton, Bristol, yet you say this is not Bristol, then it is probably between Bristol and a port. Avonmouth? Southampton?
That is an extremely sound deduction! Bear in mind that the road network wasn't what it is now.

I have a medical appointment later this morning. I'll post some more pictures this afternoon if no-one's got it by then.

Top Bottom