Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Does no-one else use Ordnance Survey to help find these? The place you've probably long given up looking for is represented somewhere on here:

View attachment 732133
Oops, I forgot to come back to this one!

I DO use OS maps when searching. Memory Map can generate 3-D representations of areas which can sometimes help in spotting where hills are being viewed from.

I usually do better with Monty's roads because I know many of them.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Know this area. Used to drive from London to here every Xmas. Local name will be back of beyond. Were you lost?
No, it was on my planned route. I'd picked out this road as a possible subject for this thread, the series of right-angled corners making it easy to pick out on some maps - or so I thought! Having a distillery in the field of view (it's just about visible) means it'll always be possible to come up with clues.

Well found @MontyVeda, over to you :okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks Aravis. I think we're all glad it's finally over!

hopefully this one should go a hell of a lot quickerer (famous last words)

ntr.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'd spent days looking exactly in that area but still couldn't find it so had to give up in order to preserve my sanity.
I was hoping someone else might find it.

edit... it's here! Can't see a name for the road.

View attachment 732144

I also missed it despite being in exactly the rift place!, I think I was looking out for the ploughed field not realising it was an actual photo and not a street view cut, which also alters the apparent "zooom"

well done for your persistence.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I also missed it despite being in exactly the rift place!, I think I was looking out for the ploughed field not realising it was an actual photo and not a street view cut, which also alters the apparent "zooom"

well done for your persistence.
I pretty sure that when this thread started, "own" photos were required, and streetview grabs began to be allowed when it would otherwise have been difficult to carry on the thread. Sometimes nowadays it sounds as though real photos are disliked. I know that a few times I've been pretty sure I was on the right road because the light matched what streetview was showing.

Do we have a preference?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I pretty sure that when this thread started, "own" photos were required, and streetview grabs began to be allowed when it would otherwise have been difficult to carry on the thread. Sometimes nowadays it sounds as though real photos are disliked. I know that a few times I've been pretty sure I was on the right road because the light matched what streetview was showing.

Do we have a preference?
I think that I originally suggested that our own photos would be good, but StreetView should definitely be available at each location for checking purposes and could be used if no personal pictures were available.

I do like to use my own photos but unfortunately don't take as many as I used to. I used to carry a compact camera in a small bar bag so that was easy to get to. These days I use my excellent phone camera. The problem is that the phone is usually in a dry bag inside a carrier bag inside a backpack or pannier, so a faff to get out. I must buy myself a new small bar/frame bag. (I will have a look for one on Amazon shortly!) I always like your photos!

The very strong preference which I suggested was for the roads to be scenic and tempting. We should feel like we wanted to go and ride them. 'Busy main road during downpour in ugly town' and 'Coventry Ring Road (closed to traffic for sportive)' didn't do it for me! :laugh:

I don’t mind boring roads that I don't want to ride being posted, but prefer the tempting ones.

Alex321

Veteran
I think that I originally suggested that our own photos would be good, but StreetView should definitely be available at each location for checking purposes and could be used if no personal pictures were available.

I do like to use my own photos but unfortunately don't take as many as I used to. I used to carry a compact camera in a small bar bag so that was easy to get to. These days I use my excellent phone camera.

I have never taken all that many photos, though the various MBIFO threads here have encouraged me to take more. But I very rarely take photos looking along the road.

I was using screenshots from my GoPro, but that died a few months ago, and I haven't got round to obtaining a replacement. Until I do so, most things I will be able to post will be streetview shots.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
hopefully this one should go a hell of a lot quickerer (famous last words)

View attachment 732192

the eagle eyed might have noticed that there's moor grass on one side of the image.

Top Bottom