Gaming Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
More an Xbox man and really kinda gone off since I got the xbox 1, so much so, I still pull out the old 360 from time to time as the classic games were so much better on every level.
I still haven't progressed to the Xbox (of any flavour)... I have a PS2 which I'll plug in occasionally and have a run around in San Andreas or play a round of Everybody's Golf ...but I'm far more likely to plug in the PS1 to play Driver and Driver 2 (both unbeaten classics) or my all time favourite Worms Armageddon for an evening of deathmatch.

sight-pin

Veteran
Red Dead Redemption looks pretty good to me but I play on a PC and I haven't seen a PC version (if there is one).

Yeah i'm pretty sure there is now PC version, i think i remember receiving an email from Rockstar about it.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
A non-computer answer - i enjoyed 3 games of Cluedo on Sat evening; first time i've played in decades! What happened to Mrs White?

Very occasionally i'll play something electronic:
De Blob (wii) - love the music in that game
Sonic 2 (megadrive)
Ssx (ps2)
A bit of minecraft- networked with all the family (bunch of geeks)
And every few years i fire up some retro emulators and revisit some childhood games- 3d ant attack, chuckie egg, zalaga, and even a Level 9 "adventure" or two.

Edited to add: Tetris!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't take the stress of action games these days. I was made redundant years ago and spent a few weeks playing games like Time Bandit on my old Atari ST for 12+ hours a day. I'd get myself so full of adrenaline that I could barely sleep.

I found Lemmings less stressful, though there were one or two levels with very tight timing that took me hundreds of attempts to complete.

These days I stick to slow games, puzzles, card games and the like. I play Sudoku and Spider Solitaire most days. One I have got really into recently is Palisade.

I am writing some of my own puzzle games now. I'll post a link on the forum when I have some on Google Play. (They will only be for Android unless it looks worth my while to port any of them over to iOS, which realistically is unlikely, but it would be a nice problem to have if I am wrong!)

Slick

Guru
I still haven't progressed to the Xbox (of any flavour)... I have a PS2 which I'll plug in occasionally and have a run around in San Andreas or play a round of Everybody's Golf ...but I'm far more likely to plug in the PS1 to play Driver and Driver 2 (both unbeaten classics) or my all time favourite Worms Armageddon for an evening of deathmatch.
The classics are by far the best. :okay:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I am addicted to Virtual Pool on the PC. I concentrate on the snooker game which is by far and away the most realistic sports sim I've ever played (Apart from the table running too fast). The various pool games are great too.

Can someone recommend a decent PC golf game (Not crazy golf or that sort of stuff)?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I am addicted to Virtual Pool on the PC. I concentrate on the snooker game which is by far and away the most realistic sports sim I've ever played (Apart from the table running too fast). The various pool games are great too.

Can someone recommend a decent PC golf game (Not crazy golf or that sort of stuff)?
The PGA series from EA Sports were always more a golf simulator than a game. Not sure if they still carry Tiger Wood's name. I've not played one since discovering Everybody's Golf 20 years ago... I much prefer the game... and avoid Outlaw Golf, the ability to jump in the buggy and mow down spectators for bonus points isn't exactly realistic :stop:

Slick

Guru
The PGA series from EA Sports were always more a golf simulator than a game. Not sure if they still carry Tiger Wood's name. I've not played one since discovering Everybody's Golf 20 years ago... I much prefer the game... and avoid Outlaw Golf, the ability to jump in the buggy and mow down spectators for bonus points isn't exactly realistic :stop:
They dropped Tiger as soon as the scandal broke before briefly trying to replace him with Rory McIlroy then eventually giving up altogether with a name. Tiger was always going to be tough to replace.

59 games on my Steam, but now only play a few

theFisher Online
Euro Truck Sim 2
American Truck Sim
DiRT4
Ori and the Blind Forest
Car Mechanic 2018

I was in a Virtual Trucking Company for ETS2 and ATS, but it got shut down. We will be reopening next year. We are a friendly community who have convoys just about every day, we join official events and events from other VTCs. We also join events have been featured on the TruckersMP website for VTCs. We also have members from the TruckersFM radio, and some TMP game mods.

Been cranking out achievements on ATS and ETS last week.

I'm learning Unity Game Engine as well as Blender, and Sketchup

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Years ago I build a fairly decent gaming PC and absolutely loved playing Test Drive Unlimited online. A bunch of us would meet up and have long drives around Hawaii. I'd built myself a cockpit around a G25 steering wheel and was the closest thing I'll ever get to real driving. I hate Atari for taking it offline :sad:
These days I stick to GTA5. I don't know why. Its infuriating. I no longer have the reflexes to avoid being killed a billion times per session by little teenage brats on flying bikes. Meh.

I was in a Virtual Trucking Company for ETS2 and ATS, but it got shut down. We will be reopening next year. We are a friendly community who have convoys just about every day, we join official events and events from other VTCs. We also join events have been featured on the TruckersMP website for VTCs. We also have members from the TruckersFM radio, and some TMP game mods.

Been cranking out achievements on ATS and ETS last week.

I'm learning Unity Game Engine as well as Blender, and Sketchup
ETS2 is great. Also have ATS but I'd say that the killer feature that is missing is that there is no way to have a saved game that is shared between ETS2 and ATS. I don't want to start over in a shack with a massive loan when I have a thriving haulage business in Europe. :whistle:

I would have said that I'm not normally one for dry simulations either, but given that my most played games on Steam are Europa Universalis IV, Factorio and Space Engineers I'm pretty sure that's no longer the case.

Good work on the gamedev front, just learning or do you have a project in mind?

Years ago I build a fairly decent gaming PC and absolutely loved playing Test Drive Unlimited online. A bunch of us would meet up and have long drives around Hawaii. I'd built myself a cockpit around a G25 steering wheel and was the closest thing I'll ever get to real driving. I hate Atari for taking it offline :sad:
Yes, TDU with a steering wheel and pedals was excellent. Don't think I ever once played it online, just used to love going on extremely long drives. I found the sequel to be obnoxious - its terrible story just got in the way. One day my wheel started turning by itself when I wasn't playing anything, followed by a loud pop and the image of smoke pouring out of it and I never got round to replacing it.
The "The Crew" games are spiritual successors to TDU and if you can get past the initial storyline you are free to explore their compressed-but-still-massive version of the US, driving wherever you like.

Based upon both of your interests I can recommend My Summer Car, which is a very strange game indeed in which you are a Finnish teen in 1995 and are tasked with rebuilding a knackered old car from parts while not dying from thirst or hunger or being hit by a train at a level crossing. Janky but surprisingly detailed.

Top Bottom