Gaming Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
GTA5 I got bored with. Not enough humour for me. Read Dead 2 I absolutely loved. Best game I've ever played. It's more an interactive movie than a game in my opinion. Spiderman also very good. Am currently on Batman Arkham - Dark Knight which is OK but a bit obsessed with the batmobile IMHO.

ETS2 is great. Also have ATS but I'd say that the killer feature that is missing is that there is no way to have a saved game that is shared between ETS2 and ATS. I don't want to start over in a shack with a massive loan when I have a thriving haulage business in Europe. :whistle:

I would have said that I'm not normally one for dry simulations either, but given that my most played games on Steam are Europa Universalis IV, Factorio and Space Engineers I'm pretty sure that's no longer the case.

Good work on the gamedev front, just learning or do you have a project in mind?

Quite honestly it's easy to make money in both games without taking a loan. But they're easy to pay back. Just keep the to the longest deliveries and you'll be fine.

Quite honestly I haven't done much Unity. Becoming a little burnt out with gaming now

Andrew1971

Veteran
Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4. One of the very few i can finish. I am finding new games too hard to bother with now.
Anyone else running Linux on laptop or desktop.
Andrew

Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4. One of the very few i can finish. I am finding new games too hard to bother with now.
Anyone else running Linux on laptop or desktop.
Andrew
Steam's support for Linux is pretty good these days, where Steam falls down Wine will catch most of the rest.

I had an old Linux laptop that could play some older games pretty well. The only reason I'm not on Linux right now on this machine is that the support isn't quite 100% there yet.

AndyRM

XOXO
For anyone interested in oldish school desktop gaming I can recommend gog.com

Downloaded Dungeon Keeper today and I'm just as hooked now as I was when I first played it. There are a few other titles which caught my eye there too, but I reckon my fella might have a sense of humour failure if I bought them all.

Console wise, I'm a huge Nintendo and Sega fan. I've enjoyed some stuff on Playstation and Xbox but I've never felt they really built the same worlds as Mario and (to an admittedly lesser extent) Sonic. GTA comes closest I reckon, San Andreas in particular was an incredible game.

Downloaded Dungeon Keeper today and I'm just as hooked now as I was when I first played it. There are a few other titles which caught my eye there too, but I reckon my fella might have a sense of humour failure if I bought them all.
What if I told you that the guy who does the voiceover on the Dungeon Keeper overworld map also does the voiceover for Peppa Pig's dad?

DK was a great game but having recently played through about 2/3rds of the campaign, it gets dreadfully tedious later on.
Games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld have taken the core idea and run off into the sunset.

I've been replaying Age of Empires 2 of late, which is still a thriving, well-balanced game and has had two remasters.

AndyRM

XOXO
What if I told you that the guy who does the voiceover on the Dungeon Keeper overworld map also does the voiceover for Peppa Pig's dad?

DK was a great game but having recently played through about 2/3rds of the campaign, it gets dreadfully tedious later on.
Games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld have taken the core idea and run off into the sunset.

I've been replaying Age of Empires 2 of late, which is still a thriving, well-balanced game and has had two remasters.

Bloody hell, I thought he sounded familiar!

You're not wrong about it getting a bit tedious, and some of the Deeper Dungeons were, from memory, nigh on impossible. Thanks for the tip about Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld, they both look excellent.

Really like the Age of Empires series, saw a video for IV recently and it looks excellent. In a similar vein I enjoyed the Settlers games, II in particular, not much to look at but really fun to play.

Kryton521

Über Member
Peppa Pigs Dad, {voice thereof] is Freya Ridings Dad!!!

Which has nothing at all to do with this thread!

These days and on IMac I play, Forge of Empires, several years now. But on old PC I loved "Hitman" and Castle Wolfenstein, wish I could get them now. Never had a true games console. What would you recommend for a total beginner?

Peppa Pigs Dad, {voice thereof] is Freya Ridings Dad!!!

Which has nothing at all to do with this thread!

These days and on IMac I play, Forge of Empires, several years now. But on old PC I loved "Hitman" and Castle Wolfenstein, wish I could get them now. Never had a true games console. What would you recommend for a total beginner?
Asking "which console should I get" is likely to start a flamewar :biggrin:
If you have children I'd recommend a Nintendo Switch but the PS4 seems to have a good lineup.

Alternatively, you'd be surprised at what games you can get that you can play on Macs.

While their Mac library isn't as comprehensive as their Windows library is, Steam ( https://store.steampowered.com/ ) has a decent selection of games that run natively on Macs.

GOG ( https://www.gog.com/ ) has a good selection of games both old and new (it's where I got Dungeon Keeper from), some with native Mac versions, some that use a program called DOSBox to get ancient games to run on modern systems (this will let you run them on a Mac with no configuration).

Finally, if you don't mind doing a bit of reading and getting your hands dirty you can often run Windows games using Wine ( https://www.winehq.org/ ) although it's not 100% guaranteed that a game will work, but they maintain a database of games that do work with test results for different operating systems.

I tend to have more success using Wine to run games I got from GOG than those I get from Steam because GOG puts work in to ensure that older games that are prone to compatibility issues can run on modern systems, which seems to help.

Top Bottom