Garage clear out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here, free to a good home of a Cyclechatter (you pay postage), is my collection of retro junk. A lot of it is genuinely junk.

First let me tell you a story. In the 70s I got my first drop-handlebar bike, a wreck that I lovingly fettled through two frames, various wheels and gearing setups throughout the 70s and 80s and then consigned to the spare room, and then the garage.

A few years ago, I decided to start cycling again. I decided that old faithful was beyond resurrection, so I bought an 80s Dawes off ebay, and over the next couple of years replaced all the components on that - because I am unable to leave well alone.

So now I am offering to you all the components from the old faithful (1-11), which did thousands of miles of sterling service, so they are very worn, and also the rejected components from the Dawes (12-17), which are in good nick.

Lastly, I'm offering for sale the front mech of old faithful, which is a Cyclo Benelux. I think that this may be a genuine vintage part, even if it has seen a great deal of service. I think it's a survivor from my very first bike. It may be worth a few quid. Make me an offer. Or laugh in my face at my effrontery for asking for money for this junk.

Pictures here http://www.cyclechat.net/useralbums/retro-components-junk.419/view
Including a shot of what was once my pride and joy.

1. GB stem 3"
2. Handlebars. Sakae Custom Road Champion. Rather scratched. Seen a lot of use, and a couple of crashes.
I can't imagine that the wheels are of any interest, but perhaps the hubs are ...
3. Front hub. Nori(?) made in France.
4. Rear hub Maillard. Made in France. Has a filthy old freewheel on it.

5. Pair brakes, Weinmann 999 centre pulls. Complete with the little doofers that connect the brake cable to the pull cable. Seen a lot of use.
6. Huret down tube shifters. Band on. Right hand butterfly tightener is missing. I think I bought these new in the 70s.
7. Huret 5 speed rear mech. Filthy. Seen a lot of use. I think I bought this new in the 70s.
8. Silstar chainset. Very worn.
9. 1 pair manky rusty pedals with no dustcaps that no one could possibly love. (Actually, two pairs I think)
10. Campag band on single shifter mount. At first I couldn't figure out what this was, as it's mounted on the seat tube, but I realised that I'd used this as a bodged way of terminating the cable housing for the Benelux front shifter. Campag! It's my poshest component!
11. Weinmann red dot brake levers. Scuffed.

These bits are from the 1980s Dawes that I bought a couple of years ago. They're all in good nick.
12. Dawes branded chainset. With crank bolts and dust covers.
13. Sachs Huret 5 speed rear mech. "Made in France 0287" on rear
14. BB Assembly. Fixed and adjustable cups, axle and bearings. English thread.
15. Suntour Cyclone front mech.
16. Weinmann single pivot sidepull brakes.
17. Weinmann "suicide" brake levers.

There's the frame from "old faithful" too, but I don't think it's anything special. It weighs a ton. I can't remember where I got it from - probably a scrapyard, and I think that's going back the same way.

Last edited:
@biggs682 Looks like your ship has come in Sir :thumbsup:

Top Bottom