Garage lighting with no mains power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Hi

Currently looking at buying a property that has a garage which has no mains or lighting and is situated too far away (probably) to easily run mains power from.

I'd like enough light so that I can safely work on the bikes. At the moment my current garage has 4 flouro tubes.

I've been looking around online and it's not obvious what the best solution is.

Anyone provide some ideas.

TBH this issue will be the make or break of the house purchase.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It wouldn't be impossible to run mains to it so long as you put the cable in some PVC pipe just in case a spade goes through it when gardening. We had our garage spurred off the ring main by an electrician. The cable is run inside plumbing pipe.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
It wouldn't be impossible to run mains to it so long as you put the cable in some PVC pipe just in case a spade goes through it when gardening. We had our garage spurred off the ring main by an electrician. The cable is run inside plumbing pipe.
No chance fella unfortunately. Between the garage and the property is another property and another garage.

However....I wonder if I can route round the back of the garage? Hmm

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

I think that the wiring regulations specs might stipulate armoured conduit.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
You can buy builders emergency site lighting that runs off large car batteries, they give plenty of light.
You might be able to pick some up from a hiree shop to test them.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Yep. Sensible to consider low voltage led and car batteries :smile:

Shaun

Leisure batteries?

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
You can buy builders emergency site lighting that runs off large car batteries, they give plenty of light.
You might be able to pick some up from a hiree shop to test them.
Thanks. But isn't an issue that these lights are on tripods rather than above your head so you get dark spots

Broadside

Guru
and is situated too far away (probably) to easily run mains power from.

I had this problem at my last house, a large expanse of tarmac between the house and garage so digging in cable was not practical. I tapped in to my neighbours garage and bought electricity off them. I paid £5 a month which was way over the value of the power I was using but I paid this much as a sweetener and paid them a year in advance at Christmas so they liked the deal too. I ran that arrangement for 3-4 years, the steel wired armoured cable alone would have been £300 (less installation) so £240 was a bargain really. it made the garage useable for fettling in the winter, it was worth every penny.

Top Bottom