Garages trying to rip me off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Most folk have no clue whats under a bonnet or under a car. They could be filming a completely different vehicle from underneath and would be non the wiser.

Its just a marketing ploy to give the illusion the dealer is engaging with the client.

Owners would be far better informed if they spent a little time inspecting their own car and understanding basics of car mechanical systems.

DRM

Guru
Local Suzuki garage do this and the mechanic does go round the car pointing things out, even measuring brake pad/disc thickness and tyre tread depth on camera, going round the engine bay and underside, and not spouting crap, but explaining in an easy to understand manner their findings

Drago

Legendary Member
Most folk have no clue whats under a bonnet or under a car. They could be filming a completely different vehicle from underneath and would be non the wiser.

Its just a marketing ploy to give the illusion the dealer is engaging with the client.

Owners would be far better informed if they spent a little time inspecting their own car and understanding basics of car mechanical systems.
A chum of mine that was in the same SAR group as me is a service manager at a Nissan dealership, and he reckons the typical owner is a prat.

They come in, unable to tell a bulb from a gearbox, thumping the counter and demanding action. Half of them blame "timing" or "tracking" for maladies that are unrelated to either. And then being totally ignorant and uneducated in matters mechanical they then want a skilled tech who did 3 years at college and 2 on an apprenticeship, plus numerous manufacturers courses, to fix it for the same hourly rate an unskilled illiterate labourer would be paid.

He tells of one guy who came in for new wipers, and the parts man nipped out and slid the new ones on in the car park for him. A few days later a wheel fell off and caused a smash and he tried to blame the dealership, claiming they had done something to the car when the wipers were fitted! :laugh:

He tells me they do get some nice, normal folk, but the typical dealership customer is a self entitled, gobshite, ignorant, utter pranny.

He also tells me of the wheezes they pull on the rude ones. Kippers kidden behind door cards, exhausts filled with grease that smokes like crazy but all the evidence burns away by the time they have returned. They found a load of cannabis in one rude blokes car so stole it. In one arrogant womans car they found a load of graphic lesbian love letters, so they photocopied them to use as material for the w@nk bank. Don't pith off the people you entrust with your second most valuable possession!

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

People don't know how their bikes work either. TBH, if BIL's car was mine, I'd have been making sure the brakes were used properly - i.e. discs clear. Lack of proper use causes it.

Top Bottom