Gardeners: What flowering plant for the north side of a 6' wall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hi guys.

I'm looking for flowering plants that will thrive in a shaded position; on the north side of a six foot wall.

Its for a raised bed about 20" x 8' that gets virtually no sun* even in the height of summer.

Ideally low maintenance.

*currently it gets a glancing blow early evening for about ten minutes

PK99

Legendary Member
You could try winter jasmine. Or Hydrangea petiolaris.

The latter would cover the whole wall from two plants after a fer years and extend 60cm from the wall.

Geranium macchorizum (?spelling.) Would be an ideal evergreen ground cover.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

You could try winter jasmine. Or Hydrangea petiolaris.

The latter would cover the whole wall from two plants after a few years and extend 60cm from the wall.

Geranium macchorizum (?spelling.) Would be an ideal evergreen ground cover.
They were talking about the winter jasmine on Gardeners Question Time last week... they really sold it and it sounded lovely!

Would the hydrangea need a trellis to climb up?

The geranuim looks nice too. :okay:

Are they all plants that i could put in at this time of year?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
They were talking about the winter jasmine on Gardeners Question Time last week... they really sold it and it sounded lovely!

Would the hydrangea need a trellis to climb up?

The geranuim looks nice too. :okay:

Are they all plants that i could put in at this time of year?
I've got one of those hydrangeas. It doesn't need a trellis. The thing will cling to brickwork etc. I have to regularly prune the top of mine to stop it getting under the tiles on the garage roof, but if you aren't growing it against a house wall that won't be a problem.

If you buy plants growing in pots, you can plant them at any time of year.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Once you have the Jasmine established, there is a thornless rose which tolerates shade.
I'll come back tomorrow with a name.

Buddleia will grow anywhere, but will need hacking down every Feb/March

pawl

Legendary Member
Hi guys.

I'm looking for flowering plants that will thrive in a shaded position; on the north side of a six foot wall.

Its for a raised bed about 20" x 8' that gets virtually no sun* even in the height of summer.

Ideally low maintenance.

*currently it gets a glancing blow early evening for about ten minutes

Have a look in your local garden centre.Most garden centres usually have a section with plants for shaded areas.

There is usually some one around who can give advice.Falling that if you have a smaller nursery ,(not one of the big multiples.) ln your area you may well get more expert advise.Ornamental grasses can be a good choice and come in various shades.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Once you have the Jasmine established, there is a thornless rose which tolerates shade.
I'll come back tomorrow with a name.

Buddleia will grow anywhere, but will need hacking down every Feb/March
I nuked the buddleia in the spring... I like purple/lilac but ain't a fan of buddleia. I'm pretty much sold on the Jasmin, although the RHS website doesn't recommend a true north position, which is what this wall is. A rose would be nice too :smile:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Have a look in your local garden centre.Most garden centres usually have a section with plants for shaded areas.

There is usually some one around who can give advice.Falling that if you have a smaller nursery ,(not one of the big multiples.) ln your area you may well get more expert advise.Ornamental grasses can be a good choice and come in various shades.
Good thinking! One of the managers at a local garden centre often pops round for a brew after work... in fact I just put a load of plants she gave me in today!

but since joining CC, my mantra is this... if you want advice, ask a cyclist! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Good thinking! One of the managers at a local garden centre often pops round for a brew after work... in fact I just put a load a plants she gave me in today!

but since joining CC, my mantra is this... if you want advice, ask a cyclist! :biggrin:

Put in a bit of pulmonaria or hostas for ground cover. Similarly some bluebells would be fine in sprimg?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

How about a bit of variety with a few aliums and umbels (now called something to do about bees). Seem to grow most places..
Got a nice framed photo of an alium on my bedroom wall... although i never knew until now what flower it was.

Didn't notice the bee when i took it, but it's the bee that makes it.
lilacflower.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
How tall a plant would you like?

Chaenomeles= flowering quince. Will get to 6’. Can train it tight against a wall. Comes in crimson, white, pink, lime.

Garry’s elliptica= evergreen. Glossy leaves. You can train it tight to a wall. Silk tassels in winter to early spring.

Hedera = plenty of different decorative varieties of ivy.

Pyracantha = spring flowers, late summer autumn berries

And Hydrangea petiolaris, just like everyone else said.

Top Bottom