Gardeners: What flowering plant for the north side of a 6' wall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Pyracantha ls a good choice.I have one growing against a wall. Covered in white blossoms Should be a good.crop of berries for the birds.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
How tall a plant would you like?

One that reaches the top of the wall would be nice, and crawls along it too. I like Clematis but don't think it's suited to such a shady, north facing position.

Garry's elliptica looks interesting.

87fb773b806fa402bcb007c89a445923.jpg

...but also looks like it might take many years to get to something like this.

Since I rent I might not be here in five or ten years time, I'd like something that'll grow relatively quickly.

Last edited:
You need to make sure that anything that reaches the eaves is kept under control to prevent damage to guttering and the roof.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
One that reaches the top of the wall would be nice, and crawls along it too. I like Clematis but don't think it's suited to such a shady, north facing position.

Garry's elliptica looks interesting.

View attachment 471485

...but also looks like it might take many years to get to something like this.

Since I rent I might not be here in five or ten years time, I'd like something that'll grow relatively quickly.

You should get tassels fairy quickly

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just be aware with the exception of the rose mentioned above all suggestions made will take time to establish and several years to cover such a large area. For example the Garrya above must be 6-7 years old, at least. Similarly be aware the interest period of most is limited though you will have plant to look at rather than fence/wall.

I would take a different approach, especially as you rent. Concentrate on the border rather than the fence. Plant with shade loving/tolerant perennials, bamboos and shrubs - especially evergreen or those with coloured stems. There is a very wide range to chose from. Go for a mixture of tall and short to break up the fence.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Just be aware with the exception of the rose mentioned above....

:laugh: Yes sorry. I should have mentioned Madame Alfred Carriere likes her presence to be known pretty quickly. There are 3 Royal Mail personnel permanently installed in her clutches.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I would be careful about planting bamboo as suggested above. The majority of bamboos are invasive and capable of undermining walls.
definitely not going down the bamboo route.

So far i've got a good list of climbing and ground covering plants to consider. Just a case of going round the garden centres to see what they've got in stock :okay:

Top Bottom