Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I've got a pair of ferns in the back garden that are in front of the shed and do a good job of hiding it, but we want a bit of colour there so I thought I'd move them down the bottom of the garden, I got about half a spade depth down and hit solid concrete, it looks like the small patch of rough grass in that corner is growing on top of a layer of concrete and brick's, I'm now looking for another spot for them.

Dave 123

Legendary Member

A lot will survive the winter but it can depend on the type of winter. I've got the second two of your links that have been going strong for years. The second one is a prolific seeder so once you have it you are unlikely to be without it. The third one I lost one that I'd had for years after after a very wet winter.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
No grapes for me yet. Hops are showing though.

I’m looking for bedding plants ahead of a big garden party we’re hosting on a Sunday.

Need some colour and preferably things that will last into the autumn, survive snails, and may be perennial.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
No grapes for me yet. Hops are showing though.

I’m looking for bedding plants ahead of a big garden party we’re hosting on a Sunday.

Need some colour and preferably things that will last into the autumn, survive snails, and may be perennial.

Rudbeckia, Echinacea, Sedum, Asters, Dahlias in pots...

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5355455, member: 9609"]

I once tried that with 4:1 dry soft sand cement, visually it seemed to work OK and seemed a nice easy solution - but a few months later I power washed the area and half my pointing was blasted out. I have since done the job properly.[/QUOTE]

It's a technique that can work very well - I've used it in my own garden in a number of areas.

But there are a few key points (ha!) to note;
1. Kiln dried material is essential so that it flows freely. I use bags of premix general mortar
2. Joints must be deep to the base of the paving and free of crud.
3. Bottom of the joint must be well wetted before starting
4. The top surface of paving must be very dry ie after 3 wait a day or two of dry weather.
5. Brush in AND hand compact with a small trowel
6. Gently spray with water

see: http://www.pavingexpert.com/jointing05.htm

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Grow them in a big terracotta pot.
You do know that snails and slugs can fly, Dave, right?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An unglamorous job this afternoon, turning and emptying compost heaps. Nice stuff...

DE166F16-2028-4BA1-A4A6-8B794F70E41D.jpeg

9FFE405D-C052-409A-A316-648ED4D05075.jpeg

Last edited:
U

User6179

I took the dog out for the toilet last night about 2am before heading to bed, at 230am I was still out on the lawn with a headtorch on picking up slugs, I lifted about 60/70 of the little blighters, is this normal for a lawn about 20m2 ?

Top Bottom