Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5359503, member: 9609"]how do you make it so good ?[/QUOTE]

The compost?

The bins are approximately 6’ wide 4’ depth and 4’ height.
There are 6 of them, built in 3 pairs.
We could fill bin number 1, then turn it into number 2, then fill bin number 1, then turn them along the line but we don’t have time.

We work them as a pair.
Fill bin A.If it’s the first bin I’ll add some garden soil in thin layers (maybe 3)
We water the heap as often as possible. Cover and weigh down a sheet of thick black polythene.
Leave it for 3 months.
Turn into bin B.
Fill bin A
Empty bin B onto garden.
Turn bin A into bin B.
Fill bin A.

When emptying a bin onto the garden I’ll keep a barrow full back. As I turn the unrotted stuff into its new bin I’ll add 3 thin layers of the well rotted to the heap. Once done the heap gets soaked and covered.

I’ll a some paper from time to time. Once in a while I’ll pee on it (it’s in the college Masters garden so I have to be careful. I have cover!)

I don’t possess a shredder. Some stuff like twigs we’ll compost for 3 months, the green bits die down, then we will snap the twigs back up and throw them back in the heap.

I think the heap in the picture has had 30 odd window boxes put into it. The winter ones have bulbs in them, but the heat of the heap cooks them! But when the boxes are finished I just stack them upside down, I don’t bother to pull them apart. They break down nicely.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Here’s me Calamondin orange

77B2F2F4-2F35-487B-B406-92C381F3BFEB.jpeg

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
At least one of the moderators has got a problem with my posts so I’ll be on gardenersworld forum for a while if any of you want to chat gardening stuff until it’s sorted - see you laters and keep gardening ;)

Finally my remaining two varieties of Dahlia have decided to flower.

IMG_20180828_130600826_HDR.jpg

Dahlia Cameo, a waterlilly variety cream with a yellow tinge to the centre.

IMG_20180828_130639559_HDR.jpg

Dahlia Kilburn Glow. Its not fully open yet and looks far prettier once it has.

Kilburn-Glow-Waterlily-Dahlia.jpg
This is how it will eventually look.

JhnBssll

Veteran
My lawn seed is doing very well, I've just spread some compost over it.

I've got some pretty serious weed control to do as theyre growing back as quick as the new grass but I'm going to wait for the grass to settle before I tackle that :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
ANOTHER ROSE BUSH QUESTION
Would it be possible/practical to move an established rose bush ie dig up and re-plant.
The bush itself is very straggly and small due to being crowded out by other things (bad planning) but its been there for years and I dont know if the root system will too big.

ANOTHER ROSE BUSH QUESTION
Would it be possible/practical to move an established rose bush ie dig up and re-plant.
The bush itself is very straggly and small due to being crowded out by other things (bad planning) but its been there for years and I dont know if the root system will too big.
If the bed is overcrowded the awkward but will be extracting the roots from all the others but sometimes needs must.
Wait until it's not actively growing then prune it back before lifting it. Make sure you've got the new planting site ready before you start digging it up.
Sometimes it's worth taking cuttings in case the removal doesn't work out.

Dave7

Legendary Member
If the bed is overcrowded the awkward but will be extracting the roots from all the others but sometimes needs must.
Wait until it's not actively growing then prune it back before lifting it. Make sure you've got the new planting site ready before you start digging it up.
Sometimes it's worth taking cuttings in case the removal doesn't work out.
Thank you. I will be clearing the new spot over the next few weeks.
My main worry is......is it possible to dig it up and move it.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Thank you. I will be clearing the new spot over the next few weeks.
My main worry is......is it possible to dig it up and move it.

It depends on the roots....
If it’s an established plant it may just have a few roots that go deep down. I had to lift some old standard roses back in the winter. They came out with so little roots that I just threw them.

As @furball says, cuttings.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardeni...6/How-to-take-hardwood-cuttings-of-roses.html

Top Bottom