Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Just acquired this off a neighbour. Needs re-potting, I reckon (in what, though?)
What is it, please?

(It's in a 30cm red pot, for scale)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
View attachment 489654

Just acquired this off a neighbour. Needs re-potting, I reckon (in what, though?)
What is it, please?

(It's in a 30cm red pot, for scale)
Dragon Tree

PeteXXX

At the moment, its straight into compost in the ceramic pot. I need a liner. I'll despatch MrsPete to B&M or somewhere to get one.
What potting compost do they like?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
They'll survive in almost anything, but probably prefer something like John Innes No. 3, maybe with some horticultural grit added to improve drainage.

PeteXXX

Anyone with hydrangea knowledge, here?
Do I remember correctly that if you put copper sulphate in the soil that it will turn a pink flowered hydrangea into one that produces blue flowers, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Hydrangeas go blue in alkali soil, pink in acid soil.
The only sure fire way to encourage permanent colour of your choice is to plant in a pot of some sort with the correct pH soil around it.
Adding nutrients to a border soil will only work short term as the nutrients leach away and are replaced by the soil's natural pH.

Hydrangeas go blue in alkali soil, pink in acid soil.
The only sure fire way to encourage permanent colour of your choice is to plant in a pot of some sort with the correct pH soil around it.
Adding nutrients to a border soil will only work short term as the nutrients leach away and are replaced by the soil's natural pH.
Isn't it the other way round?

Ermm:banghead::banghead::banghead: I always remember it as the second letter of blue is L and the second letter of alkali is L. Mind you that's trying to remember from 50 years ago, so it could be that my nemonic should be a negative.
Either way, we never bother. We grow them in the border, and they seem to change coulour during the flowering season, so we get both shades.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hydrangea colour is pH dependent; 5.5 or less for blue; 5.5-6.5 will give either a purplish colour or a mix of blue and pink; 6.5 and above for pink or red.

Incorporating ericaceous locally will help and there are various chemical formulations available in garden centres.

Be aware some modern pink hydrangeas are bred to retain their colour regardless of soil type.

Top Bottom