Gardening 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Have you tried beer traps, or half grapefruit or melon skins? If you're not seeing slugs are you sure they're the culprits? Could it be mice or rabbits?

I'm on the edge of a big city and don't see mice or rabbits, but yes, I'm inclined to suspect it might not be slugs or snails, theres not a big slug and snail population here and I don't usually have problems with them, thats why I'm trying to catch them in the act, we do however have a small population of Grass Hoppers in the garden though I haven't seen any so far this year, so theres another suspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1258

Please don't use slug pellets, harmful to wildlife, especially hedgehogs (who need all the help they can get, numbers in serious decline).

I rarely use slug pellets these days, we don't have much of a population here, in the last house they were a major problem.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Lisa’s mums tulips were purple last year...

simongt

Guru
The GLW is busy growing catnip from plugs and having fun keeping some of our cats away them - ! 😸😸
Her, the GLW's, enthusiasm is such that I now have to extend 'her' growing patch again. Still, on the bright side. less grass to cut - ! :okay:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Various small plants hardening off prior to planting out.
In the tray on the left, ten-week stocks, cosmos and regal pelargonium cuttings.
On the right, two varieties of sweet pea, leeks finally putting on some growth, venidium, some more stocks and a quarter-tray of zaluzianskia zaloocyanskya soddit, night scented phlox. This last one will be planted in troughs hung on the front garden wall for the benefit of passers-by.

In the greenhouse, two courgettes are desperate to be planted out; we've delayed because our usual supplier of well-rotted horse manure never seems to have any. Behind them are gardener's delight and pink brandywine tomatoes*. Two of each will be grown in the greenhouse and two in outside raised beds, and one of each for the neighbour. There's also two species of lemongrass back there, even though I hardly ever use it. Out of shot are aubergine and sweet pepper plants. Six melon plants are on a higher shelf. Much of the greenhouse is taken up by overwintered tender perennials such as canna, plumbago, hibiscus and agapanthus (not reliably hardy here). These will have to go outside soon to make space for food crops!

* Coincidentally the two varieties recommended for outdoors by Bob Flowerdew in this afternoons GQT. Ahead of the game again, Poacher!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
more timber arrived earlier, got the next 7 days off work.....so will be finishing the pergola seating arbor, but damn timber prices have gone up in the last few weeks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just weeded and feeded the caravan lawn - think I'm going to need loads more over time. Lots of daisies in it ! I keep the lawns at home week free - easy when you are there to feed and cut them, but at the van, if you aren't there for a couple of weeks, and you've feeded it, by heck it grows. Hoping to tackle the weeds this year as we are there most weekends.

Top Bottom