Gardening 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Greenhouse and plants coming on. Not done so well with cucumber, courgette and some flowers which just didn't take off. Far too many tomatoes though.

postman

Legendary Member
I have just said to Mrs P it was a shame we did not get her a 12 x 10 greenhouse this year is the best it has looked in ages.She is having a great time.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I built an archway and surrounding trellis last year, so this year I thought I'd grow some half hardy climbers up it (cobaea). They germinated well, but when I put outside to harden off they've obviously felt the chill. This happens every time and they don't really recover which is why I don't usually bother with half hardy stuff. The sweet peas will have to do (together with a rose and two honeysuckles).

Tail End Charlie

I was taking stock in my garden today and noting what I had lost over the winter. It was a harsh winter and the spring wasn't too much better. Shrubs lost - cistus, ceanothus, penstemon (red, the others are fine), salvia (two types), kalmia, a hebe is looking none too bright, an escallonia looks a shadow of last year and, most oddly, one of my asparagus crowns seems to have given up the ghost. The shrubs don't surprise me, but the asparagus is odd, there are two crowns right beside it which are producing well.

D

Deleted member 1258

I was taking stock in my garden today and noting what I had lost over the winter. It was a harsh winter and the spring wasn't too much better. Shrubs lost - cistus, ceanothus, penstemon (red, the others are fine), salvia (two types), kalmia, a hebe is looking none too bright, an escallonia looks a shadow of last year and, most oddly, one of my asparagus crowns seems to have given up the ghost. The shrubs don't surprise me, but the asparagus is odd, there are two crowns right beside it which are producing well.

You might find the Salvia is just late getting started, I've got three in my garden, two are fine and got new growth on them a few weeks ago, one showed no sign of growth till this week when a little bit of green just started to show.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You might find the Salvia is just late getting started, I've got three in my garden, two are fine and got new growth on them a few weeks ago, one showed no sign of growth till this week when a little bit of green just started to show.
I got loads of plants growing…..but dont ask me what they are lol

but my betroot, brocolli, cauliflower, lettuce and spring onions are growing well

Tail End Charlie

I've been keeping my fingers crossed, but I think the salvias have gone. One in particular was very old and woody (there was a tiny section showing green so I've saved that). It's a shame because last year they were magnificent, almost forming a hedge. The last hurrah I guess.
I think last winter was too windy, temp down to minus 6 on occasions and add a bit of wind chill, there were several icy blasts, I'm quite exposed where I am.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been keeping my fingers crossed, but I think the salvias have gone. One in particular was very old and woody (there was a tiny section showing green so I've saved that). It's a shame because last year they were magnificent, almost forming a hedge. The last hurrah I guess.
I think last winter was too windy, temp down to minus 6 on occasions and add a bit of wind chill, there were several icy blasts, I'm quite exposed where I am.

Thats sad, mind you I like the idea of a Salvia hedge, I've got a Lavender Hedge down along side the front path, its been there a long time now and is looking a bit sorry for its self.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Salvias and penstemons may be wiped out by a harsh winter, but the good news is that cuttings taken in autumn root easily and overwinter well under cover, although they tend to get a bit leggy. If the parent plant has succumbed you have replacements; if it comes through you have plants to give away (or sell, if you're that hard-nosed!).

D

Deleted member 1258

I have a little puzzle here, I've three Dahlias out the front, two of them are being left alone by the local wildlife, the third is getting seriously eaten, so far slug and snail patrols, neighbors must think I'm weird, scrabbling around in the flower bed with a torch late at night, have revealed nothing, buggers must have a good hiding place, I shall have to keep looking for them.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have a little puzzle here, I've three Dahlias out the front, two of them are being left alone by the local wildlife, the third is getting seriously eaten, so far slug and snail patrols, neighbors must think I'm weird, scrabbling around in the flower bed with a torch late at night, have revealed nothing, buggers must have a good hiding place, I shall have to keep looking for them.
put down slug pellets.....no more worries or scrabbling around at night with a torch

Top Bottom