Gardening 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Thanks, but don't you have to leave it for a few months before walking on it?
no - how do golf courses stay open after top dressing and re-seeding if that was the case and football pitches in the big leagues.........

ive been walking on mine all over the spring and its growing lovely with no issues

Sorry if this sounds like a daft question but where do you source these pallet collars, are they purchased new online or used and found locally.
Locally. There is probably a used pallet and drum dealer in most of the big industrial areas. In my old town I bought from two places that are very competitive in price. JCS Pallets of Miles Platting and Universal Pallet Services of Gorton.
Obviously pickup is desirable as the delivery costs would make purchase uneconomical, I used to be able to get 14 euro pallet collars in an estate car.
Have a search on "used euro pallet collars", (or "EPAL" collars) I used to pay about £5 +VAT each. If they come in at less than a tenner its still a lot cheaper than buying wood and nails and having something that cannot be stowed flat for the winter if you want to re-amend the soil en masse and of course they stack properly if you want to increase depth.
They come in sizes EUR1 120X80CM, EUR2/3 120X100CM, EUR4 80X60CM. Any you buy should have the "IPPC" logo branded on usually next to other specs concerning sustainability or unique identifier codes.
If they have "MB" branded on them then leave well alone, it is an identifier for Methyl Bromide, there are probably very few of those in pallet fleets in developed countries now. Avoid any with heavy staining, the stains could be anything that you do not want in a vegetable garden.

Thanks for this, great advice and information. Will wait till autumn and hope it germinates ok 👍
There is nothing to stop you from other maintenance before the autumn, once the grass starts growing strongly it would appreciate a dethatch or even more aggressive scarification, hire shops may have what you need.
You can overseed the inevitable bare and scrubby patches that show after all the weak and dead material has been removed but yes you will have to use a sprinkler every day when the sun gets strong or walk round your lawn with a watering can fitted with rose if the patches are small.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Currently hardening off Tomato Red currant (from a seed swap), Semaroh sweet pepper and 8-ball courgettes. Hopefully they'll all go in baskets and/or pots.
Planted cucamelon seeds at the weekend (more from the seed swap) and planted the strawberry plug plants in their hanging baskets.

Next door's new fence has created space for me to fix baskets & planters & created even more of a sun trap

Hicky

Guru
@potsy Top soil, cheaper by a mile. If you're really keen make sure the PH level is correct for the flower etc. If really really keen find a chicken farm and get a load of chicken sh*te and dig that in.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A "winter" pansy question.
In order for some winter colour we planted these in 4 beds.
Did all the prep etc.
Very disappointing show.
Then last week they went mad
They are even better this week.
Any ideas why or how long they will last ??

Hicky

Guru
@Dave7 No idea, I've had a handing basket in a shaded area over winter. The plants are doing well but haven't flowered. I was thinking of emptying it and starting again but I'll hold off a while having seen this!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can you define "ages".....just a little.
I bought them as they were advertised to give colour over winter :wacko:

They flower in Spring for months - our's have picked up now and I think they are partially hardy so may last next year as we've got some flowering that we didn't plant this year.

Gardening website answer:-

About Pansy Plant Flowering

If you wonder “when do pansies bloom,” brace yourself for a long answer to a short question. Different pansies have different pansy flowering seasons in different regions. And many can last in your garden for many, many months. Pansies are known to prefer cool temperatures with thick layers of sunshine. Generally, this means that these easy-care, colorful flowers do best during winter in southern regions, throughout summer in cooler northern regions and during both spring and fall in areas in between. In many areas, pansies are grown as annuals. Gardeners extend pansy bloom time by starting the plants indoors. You can plant pansies in the fall in cold-winter regions and there is a good chance these tough plants will survive to flower in early spring.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Pansy Bloom Time: When Is Pansy Flowering Season https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/pansy/pansy-flowering-season.htm

Dave7

Legendary Member
They flower in Spring for months - our's have picked up now and I think they are partially hardy so may last next year as we've got some flowering that we didn't plant this year.

Gardening website answer:-

About Pansy Plant Flowering

If you wonder “when do pansies bloom,” brace yourself for a long answer to a short question. Different pansies have different pansy flowering seasons in different regions. And many can last in your garden for many, many months. Pansies are known to prefer cool temperatures with thick layers of sunshine. Generally, this means that these easy-care, colorful flowers do best during winter in southern regions, throughout summer in cooler northern regions and during both spring and fall in areas in between. In many areas, pansies are grown as annuals. Gardeners extend pansy bloom time by starting the plants indoors. You can plant pansies in the fall in cold-winter regions and there is a good chance these tough plants will survive to flower in early spring.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Pansy Bloom Time: When Is Pansy Flowering Season https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/pansy/pansy-flowering-season.htm
Well that is certainly what ours have done.
Thanks.

Top Bottom