Gardening 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
VelvetUnderpants

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Raised beds are great for drainage, accessibility and bad backs, something I may consider in the future on my allotment..

potsy

Rambler
I am by no means a gardener, but have attempted some very minor planting over the winter, and have a couple of small Acers that I am keeping in containers.
Am actually enjoying it so far, and am putting a few more evergreen shrubs in this week.

Also planted a small tree to attract more birds.

Pics once things start to bloom :okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Last year I ordered a lean to greenhouse. It took an age to materialise.
Its been up since December. I need more staging already.

I‘m looking forward to toms and chillis. Dahlias are shooting, morning glories potted on, parsley potted on

pictures from a few weeks ago

D

Deleted member 1258

Parcel arrived today, my Dahlia tubers, I've never tried growing them before so its a voyage of discovery, they're on the kitchen window sill at the moment and destined for the front garden in a few weeks time.

Tribansman

Veteran
Boring but essential stuff for me. Our lawn is pretty awful and we took a load of thorny bushes and brambles out when we moved in last year.

We've dug over the mud, taken weeds out, levelled and added some sand and fertiliser. We want to seed that and also re-seed the lawn.

I've read that you can do that in either spring or autumn, but that autumn is best as soil is warmer, less need to water and weeds start dying off rather than go mad from spring.

Anyone else done this and got any advice? I am inclined to wait till autumn as not keen to put the whole lawn out of commission this summer especially, as it'll be nice for my lad to have his friends over and play on the garden...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Boring but essential stuff for me. Our lawn is pretty awful and we took a load of thorny bushes and brambles out when we moved in last year.

We've dug over the mud, taken weeds out, levelled and added some sand and fertiliser. We want to seed that and also re-seed the lawn.

I've read that you can do that in either spring or autumn, but that autumn is best as soil is warmer, less need to water and weeds start dying off rather than go mad from spring.

Anyone else done this and got any advice? I am inclined to wait till autumn as not keen to put the whole lawn out of commission this summer especially, as it'll be nice for my lad to have his friends over and play on the garden...
if using new seed whether its spring or autumn, you need to ensure the seed doesnt dry out and die.......so in autumn you need to water at least 3 times a day, in spring a lot less as the ground is wetter

OP
OP
VelvetUnderpants

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Parcel arrived today, my Dahlia tubers, I've never tried growing them before so its a voyage of discovery, they're on the kitchen window sill at the moment and destined for the front garden in a few weeks time.

View attachment 583505

View attachment 583506

View attachment 583507

View attachment 583508
I assume your starting them off in the pots. If so plant them with the top of the tuber showing, level with the surface of the compost. Also keep the compost barely moist until they have a shoot with leaves unfolded, it's easy to overwater and for the tuber to rot off. If you are starting them off indoors position somewhere light but not near a radiator. You can probably get away with a greenhouse or coldframe once it warms up a bit.

Harden them off mid May and when planted protect them from slugs and snails, they love Dahlias. If planting in the ground base dress with growmore or fish blood and bone. If growing in pots feed with a tomato fertilizer.

D

Deleted member 1258

I assume your starting them off in the pots. If so plant them with the top of the tuber showing, level with the surface of the compost. Also keep the compost barely moist until they have a shoot with leaves unfolded, it's easy to overwater and for the tuber to rot off. If you are starting them off indoors position somewhere light but not near a radiator. You can probably get away with a greenhouse or coldframe once it warms up a bit.

Harden them off mid May and when planted protect them from slugs and snails, they love Dahlias. If planting in the ground base dress with growmore or fish blood and bone. If growing in pots feed with a tomato fertilizer.

Thank you.

Hicky

Guru
This task has been delayed due to the strange weather, luckily the f/inlaw is here to help this weekend. The greenhouse needs washing and tidying ready for young plants.
I've dug one flowerbed ready for some bedding plants already, I was given loads of Dahlia tubers so I have to find somewhere for them to go shortly once they're grown on.
I have 10 Alder trees to transplant to our local fishery and two Acers to grow on into larger pots for another year so they're strong enough to survive the dogs which will make three of differing colours.
I'm digging over a barren patch to create a living Willow obelisk for sweet pea to grow up which can be seen from mine and the neighbours windows. I'm trying to convince her indoors to let me put a fedge along the grass to keep the dogs off it, not luck so far. Only a short walk away is an abundance of willow I can prune for myself.
I've got to scarify and over seed what I amusingly call the lawn, we suffer terribly with moss and next doors garden is 99% moss so its an annual losing battle.
Raised Veg beds are on the table soon however they can wait for a week or so.
All shrubs have been pruned and are showing much stronger flowering already, unfortunately while pruning the hedge I disturbed a nest full of eggs so I have a patch untouched but hopefully the mother returned and they survived. There's a nest box high up on a tree I put about 2M away the bloody bird could of used. There's one next to the garage door which is a busy area, we've had blue tits in there two years in a row. The feeders are now being hammered however the nuts are untouched.

Top Bottom