Gardening 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not a happy bunny this evening……looks like i got an infestation of couch grass. Could have come in from the new topsoil i added, which was from a farm in somerset according to the suppliers.

looks like a may need to glysophate my whole back lawn and start again :cry:

Any possibility of pulling it out - how bad ?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Any possibility of pulling it out - how bad ?
Ive pulled a fair chunk of it out of the borders earlier that was starting to sprout, luckily the roots were just under the mulch and not deep into the soil……but it looks like i have a fair few larger clumps in the lawn, which will be harder to remove by hand. I may just spray a little over those clumps and then add some topsoil/compost/seed mix to these areas after a week or so and see if that works

jowwy

after spending an hour this morning checking through the garden i realised how rife the couch grass was in my lawn……so the bullet has been bit and the whole lawn has been glyso’d (except the new grass on the path) and will be re-top soiled and seeded in about 7/14 days

at least in know then there is no couch in my garden and if it comes in from elsewhere i can catch it and kill off the odd bit if needed

jowwy

Lettuce and brocollis have been planted out into the cloche……….happy chappy

PaulSB

Legendary Member
after spending an hour this morning checking through the garden i realised how rife the couch grass was in my lawn……so the bullet has been bit and the whole lawn has been glyso’d (except the new grass on the path) and will be re-top soiled and seeded in about 7/14 days

at least in know then there is no couch in my garden and if it comes in from elsewhere i can catch it and kill off the odd bit if needed
I think you should consider waiting at least three weeks to be sure the couch is controlled. Be prepared for having to spray a second time. I don't know how large your lawn is but after going for the nuclear option it would be worth forking through to physically remove any root you find. In my experience this is by far the best couch control method.

jowwy

I think you should consider waiting at least three weeks to be sure the couch is controlled. Be prepared for having to spray a second time. I don't know how large your lawn is but after going for the nuclear option it would be worth forking through to physically remove any root you find. In my experience this is by far the best couch control method.
Thats whats im going to do paul…..but my garden is 25mtrs by 15mtrs, so not a quick task. I have some more resolva 24 coming in the next few days for a 2nd blast, used 3ltrs the first time around, so bought another 5ltrs

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have been advised to add vermiculite to the large pots that I have on the patio.

What percentage of compost/soil/vermiculite do you use in your large pots? The instructions on the bag say 50/50 compost/vermiculite
but that seems to me to be too much vermiculite. What does the panel suggest?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have been advised to add vermiculite to the large pots that I have on the patio.

What percentage of compost/soil/vermiculite do you use in your large pots? The instructions on the bag say 50/50 compost/vermiculite
but that seems to me to be too much vermiculite. What does the panel suggest?
50/50 is OK but from a cost aspect I would use less. Just be aware that while vermiculite aids drainage from the compost it also retains water in itself. It may sound daft but this does mean it's possible to overwater this mixture in the same way as any other mix.

Personally I would still put crocks of some sort in the bottom. This would always be my first choice for good drainage and reducing compost volumes in containers. I wouldn't use vermiculite or similar.

postman

Legendary Member
Knackered I was going to have a potter about in the garden.But I got carried away.Only job to do was dig five holes,and put the bulbs of the pots in to them.Well I did that then I binned a load leaves,decided to tidy up behind the compost bins,then I weeded neighbours land and cut his hedge.I got carried away,but now on top of everything and time to rest.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Things like verbena and nemesia were evicted from the greenhouse at the weekend.

Some things are growing frustratingly slow in the greenhouse. Just had power fitted last weekend, a little late for this year, but the cold nights have been hindering the plants.

I’m also frustrated with the quality of compost available locally. I may have to go back to the expensive stuff I was used to when Corpus payed the bill! I’ll save my pocket money up I think....

jowwy

Things like verbena and nemesia were evicted from the greenhouse at the weekend.

Some things are growing frustratingly slow in the greenhouse. Just had power fitted last weekend, a little late for this year, but the cold nights have been hindering the plants.

I’m also frustrated with the quality of compost available locally. I may have to go back to the expensive stuff I was used to when Corpus payed the bill! I’ll save my pocket money up I think....

View attachment 588453
Would love a set-up like that

D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 588453

Thats a lovely setup, unfortunately I don't have room for something like that.

jowwy

Its been nice and dry today. So planted put my purple bulbed spring onions and my cauliflower. That was lunchtime and then this afternoon i sprayed some more glysophate all over the grass and the couch is now dying off in spades…….

Top Bottom