Gardening 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Yep it's a pineapple lily (Eucomis autumnalis)
It's often used in formal bedding schemes Ive grown a few over the years.
They are a bulb and are not hardy so will need bring in under cover over winter.
allow it to die down once the flower go's over cut the stem off and feed with a 1/2 strength liquid potash feed weekly. leave the leaves to die naturally they will keep feeding the bulb for next year.
Over winter frost free keeping it on the dry side come spring it should re grow once it starts increase the water and put out once frost has past.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I believe that’s a pineapple lily

Cool! Thanks!

D

Deleted member 1258

IMG_20230904_155757.jpg

I planted this a while ago and it looked great, but it died back at the end of that summer and didn't come back the next spring, earlier this year after a gap of several years I noticed fresh growth and now its flowering and looking great again but I've forgotten what its called.

tom73

Guru
View attachment 705236

I planted this a while ago and it looked great, but it died back at the end of that summer and didn't come back the next spring, earlier this year after a gap of several years I noticed fresh growth and now its flowering and looking great again but I've forgotten what its called.

It's a perennial Labelia. Lobelia cardinalis by the looks.
Good for wet areas and bog gardens round ponds.

gbb

Legendary Member
Monday the lawn yesterday , stood back and surveyed....hmm
Itsa very wet clay soil that gets sodden in winter, very very poor drainage. Historically it always suffered from neglect, dandelions took over, more of them than grass. Add the moss that grows like billyo every winter. 5 years ago I started week, killing and feeding the garden and within two years, not a weed in sight, just lovely grass.
But....I always noticed what I think are wild violet on one edge. Well it's spreading, it's now creeping significantly into the lawn.
Time for action:smile: went to the shops to get some Roundup...none in stock.
So that's my aim now...unless anyone has alternative treatment methods for wild violet.

tom73

Guru
Monday the lawn yesterday , stood back and surveyed....hmm
Itsa very wet clay soil that gets sodden in winter, very very poor drainage. Historically it always suffered from neglect, dandelions took over, more of them than grass. Add the moss that grows like billyo every winter. 5 years ago I started week, killing and feeding the garden and within two years, not a weed in sight, just lovely grass.
But....I always noticed what I think are wild violet on one edge. Well it's spreading, it's now creeping significantly into the lawn.
Time for action:smile: went to the shops to get some Roundup...none in stock.
So that's my aim now...unless anyone has alternative treatment methods for wild violet.

You can do hand weeding to get at least some of it out. Rise the mower blades leaving the grass that bit longer wont do any harm either The real issue is the drainage of the site wet conditions are what it likes.

OP
OP
R

Red17

Veteran
Job for the afternoon. 2.6 t of it to shovel about

IMG_20230929_125430.jpg

Today I have been mostly turning and tidying the compost bins but did get to take some pics of some late flowering plants;

Canna striata

IMG_4798.jpeg

Begonia grandis 'Sapporo'

IMG_4792.jpeg

Cyclamen hederifolium var.hederifolium f. albiflorum

IMG_4796.jpeg

Fascicularia bicolour

IMG_4799.jpeg

Persicaria amplexicaulis v. pendula 'Crug Cascade'

IMG_4804.jpeg

Salvia 'Amistad'

IMG_4803.jpeg

Dahlia 'David Howard'

IMG_4801.jpeg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just brushed past the pyracantha in the drive and was surrounded by a cloud of whitefly, like a blizzard; they're everywhere this year.
I'm used to seeing them in the greenhouse and especially at the allotment, but not in such large numbers, and this feels later in the year than usual. It was literally a swarm, landing all over me!

Hoping the first frost will sort them out. That might happen next weekend, which is 3 or 4 days later than last year, but most of this week the mercury is expected to remain in double figures 24 hrs a day.

OP
OP
R

Red17

Veteran
Its an unusual fruit, andnot one you can readily buy. I always think it tastes a bit like a date with a hint of citrus.

We generally make Jelly / jam with them, but leave a few to ripen off (blet) for eating raw

Top Bottom