Gardening 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
Spent a few hours on the allotment the last couple of days. First signs of spring buds on the fruit bushes, and first of this year's crops only a week or two away

Attachments

• IMG_20230226_110644.jpg
    IMG_20230226_110644.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
On Friday I purchased the materials for £38 to make a 3m raised bed for my children to grown Sunflowers and pumpkins etc. Will put it together this week if I can find and dry half day.

Drago

Legendary Member
I too have become a gardenist over the last year.

Grass already cut once, new log store built, new fence to separate the veg separate from the garden and safe from the labrador, and over 80 tomato plants sprouting in seed trays in the warm porch. A good friend has bought the village pub and wants me to supply toms for the restaurant.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Has anyone got a wormery or a Bokashi bin?

I have two large compost bins and make shed loads of compost. Someone has suggested that I should try a wormery, as this produces a liquid that acts as plant food. I do not have much in the way of wasted food. I have been told they take potato peelings, and other vegetable peelings, and plastic free tea bags.

What are your thoughts please?

Drago

Legendary Member
Got over 80 tomato plants sprouting now. Another week and we should be past the last frost for this latitude and I'll put them outside (will move them inside if an extraordinary frost is forecast.)

Been saving my wood ash from the fire all winter so now have a good supply to both fertilise the to s and act as a pest repellent.

dicko

Guru
I built this for the summer salad crop and over winter veg. Perhaps will try Potatoes this year?

Attachments

• CE87BA7D-BC08-4275-ABE9-01CB93F5DBCE.jpeg
    CE87BA7D-BC08-4275-ABE9-01CB93F5DBCE.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 4

mustang1

Guru
Minor tidy up here today.

Ditto. Mrs Mustang was not happy that I might go out for a ride and suggested a garden tidy up. It turned out to be fun and good for fitness (I haven't used my gardening muscles for most of the winter. Lots of crouching down/getting up.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Anyone know why my plant pot has totally disintegrated? Just been down the end of the garden and found this.
It’s probably 5 years old, but for some reason it has totally fallen apart this year. The weather hasn’t been particularly colder than previous years.
Is it just a cheap, poor quality pot?
745FEB68-A61C-45A8-8D31-267B77726683.jpeg

tom73

Guru

I have two large compost bins and make shed loads of compost. Someone has suggested that I should try a wormery, as this produces a liquid that acts as plant food. I do not have much in the way of wasted food. I have been told they take potato peelings, and other vegetable peelings, and plastic free tea bags.

Had a wormery in the past. They are good but need care , and keeping an eye on how wet they getting. They are formidable eaters and will get though what you add. They breed to conditions and how much food you add. They need a sheltered spot and keep the rain off. Cooked food , acidic food are out.
Once you get to know the basics they are quite trouble free.

Bokashi bins are a very different way to compost using activated brain to do the hard work.
Most things can go in them even cooked food. They don’t break things down in same way as compost bin or a wormery. They basically pickle every thing once ready either dig into the garden or add to a compost bin. They too make liquid but not a plant food it is how ever fab eco drain cleaner.
Not saying buy from them but have a look at https://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/
Used them for years and found them to very helpful. They know all about this stuff and have plenty of information about all things wormery and bokashi bins.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I had lots of worms in ordinary compost bins which worked well until I brought back some plants from Shetland.
Did not recognise the egg cases of New Zealand Flatworms which hatched and ate the lot. Took me about 5 years to get rid of them but never got the same level of worms even after several years.

D

Deleted member 1258

Anyone know why my plant pot has totally disintegrated? Just been down the end of the garden and found this.
It’s probably 5 years old, but for some reason it has totally fallen apart this year. The weather hasn’t been particularly colder than previous years.
Is it just a cheap, poor quality pot?
View attachment 684064

Possibly frost damage.

D

Deleted member 1258

Over the last few weeks, two Buddleia pruned, three Salvia's and two ferns hacked back, half a dozen primulas and pansies put in by the Lavender to replace the Grape Hyacinths I lost when the wheelchair ramp was put in, and I've been tackling the weeds, once the garden bin is emptied I've got perennial sunflowers to cut back.

Top Bottom