Gardening/Allotmenting 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
So Xmas is out of the way and time to start planning for the new year. Visited our allotment to check on storm damage and our shed has finally given up the ghost, leaning at 45 degrees so that's job no 1 for the year.

Ground is too wet to do anything but garlic and rhubarb are both sprouting, so spring is on its way with a bit of luck
20240107_115957.jpg

I'm deep into various seed catalogues - both paper and on-line. I start seeds for quite a lot of people who enjoy growing things but are a bit challenged by/put off/cba/whatever, by seed starting. I LOVE growing all sort of propogation and especially starting from seed.
I'm looking at miniature veggie plants for this year, and white flowers. I like to have a 'theme' occasionally; I've done odd colours and unexpected shapes in the past. Great fun!

Hicky

Guru
Same here, rhubarb is sprouting.
We don’t eat it and it’s in the way…so if anyone wants some plants in N Manchester drop me a line and you’re welcome to them, they’re very good producers!
The plan for this yr is demolish a brick bbq and lift some flags making room for the roses we’ve collected/in pots and need to get in the ground.
I’m thinking of a wild flower area or potatoes( the area only gets sun until 2 though).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Now we won't be at the caravan every weekend, it's time to clear the greenhouse out, ready to start again. We did loads to it during lock down, but as we've been back at work etc, it's become a dumping ground for son's car stuff - so that's going to be moved so we can prep the planting area in there.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've put straw over the 3 rhubarb plants. They are fairly close to the bird feeder so I expect some of it to be snaffled by nesting birds.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Did the winter clearing of dead growth yesterday then planted some tulips.
It's been too wet and horrible for ages for me to be motivated to do anything until now

Hicky

Guru
We have a very confused rose starting to strongly bud up. We only pruned it a month or so ago! Madness 🫣

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I noticed this afternoon that the Fuchsias in my garden have already started to bud out this year's growth. This normally doesn't happen until early to mid March.

Top Bottom