Gardening help - mushrooms appeared

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by summerdays, 1 May 2010.

  1. summerdays

    summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

    Location:
    Bristol
    We've had raised beds at the side of the house for about 3 or 4 years now. Today we were doing a peruse of the beds when we found the following:

    21epw09.jpg

    growing amongst our rocket seedlings and well all over one bed... anyone know what they are and why they have suddenly appeared and what we need to do? The other bed is completely free of them at the moment. We probably added some more compost to the bed earlier in the year - that bed seems to be less free draining than the other so we added some grit too.
     
  2. rich p

    rich p ridiculous old lush

    Location:
    Brighton
    Funnily enough, I noticed the same in a seed tray of petunias in the heated propagator so I suspect it's caused by a mixture of warmth and humidity. I'd just pinch them out for now. I don't think they'll do any harm.
     
  3. Twenty Inch

    Twenty Inch New Member

    Location:
    Behind a desk
    Probably a import with the compost. Just dig them out, but do wash your hands and make sure toddlers can't get them.
     
  4. PBancroft

    PBancroft Senior Member

    Location:
    Winchester
    I discovered some globe like mushrooms in my allotment a few weeks back (they're still there). Decided to leave them if they're not doing any harm, probably just feeding off the dead wood in the new compost.
     
  5. 661-Pete

    661-Pete Guest

    Aha! I need Tony's help here, haven't a clue what those are. Might be some species of Conocybe or Inocybe possibly, but don't know if any of those fruit in the spring. Anyway, if so they might be slightly poisonous, so leave well alone! But you're all right handling them, they're not that poisonous, and have no worries about your rocket, there's no way the poison can spread to that!

    You could try the excellent Rogers Mushrooms site; if you're still stuck there's a forum on that site, you could try posting your photo there.
     
  6. Jaguar

    Jaguar New Member

    Location:
    Norfolk/Suffolk
    that's exactly what they're doing. A lot of compost isn't completely rotted, so you'll get little mushroom rashes. Nothing to worry about (but I wouldn't eat them)
     
  7. twentysix by twentyfive

    twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

    Location:
    Over the Hill
    I've got St George's day mushrooms coming up in the garden for the umpteenth year again this spring. I'm told they are edible but I haven't risked it.
     
  8. OP
    OP
    summerdays

    summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

    Location:
    Bristol
    Luckily my youngest is 8 so is old enough to understand not to eat them (he hates mushrooms anyway). Two other photos of them...

    263v5gh.jpg

    5smfs.jpg

    So they will just die away back into the soil when we have a drier spell and presumably re-occur whenever the conditions are right?

    I've tried looking on the Rodger's website ... I didn't realise that there were so many that looked so similar! I will refer back again to that site once they are slightly older so I can see how the cap changes shape.
     
  9. dan_bo

    dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

    Location:
    Failsworth
    Would i be being juvenile if i was to say that they looked like your common (or garden) magic mushies?
     
  10. They aren't psilocybe, so don't try and eat them...:biggrin:
     
  11. longers

    longers Veteran

    Too orangey for me Dan and not quite pointy enough.

    Great photo's Summerdays. I get a few like this round the base of a couple of saplings I've got growing and they look great with the liverwort and moss on the top of the pots. If you like that sort of thing.
     
  12. wafflycat

    wafflycat New Member

    Location:
    middle of Norfolk
    As they're unidentified, I'd just nip them out & bin them, so kiddies can't get them on the *small chance* they are something nasty.
     
  13. 661-Pete

    661-Pete Guest

    No, they're definitely not that. My guess now is that they're a species of Panaeolus, which is consistent with them growing in compost, especially if there's animal manure in it. Harmless but inedible.
     
  14. dan_bo

    dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

    Location:
    Failsworth
    Its been a while. Dont go near 'em just dig 'em back in.
     
  15. OP
    OP
    summerdays

    summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

    Location:
    Bristol
    Well animal manure... last year there was horse's manure added, and this year that pelleted chicken manure.

    (Now I could have gone to a mushroom forum ... but I know what an intelligent bunch you all are ... and that I could get some kind of answer here:biggrin:.)

    Don't want to dig them in - as there are rows of seedlings just popping their heads up around them...
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice