Garlic bulb question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There i was today looking at seeds and bulbs outside a local supermarket when i saw some "plantable garlic bulbs". You get two for £1. Hold on i thought. I've had garlic bulbs at home that've been left too long and they've started to grow shoots.(that is actually the correct word and not CC's censored word used to describe a number 2 :smile:). You can buy something like 6 bulbs of garlic for eating for about £1. So what's the difference,if there is one between plantable garlic and edible garlic? Could i just plant the garlic you buy for eating and would they grow decent garlic?

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Some yes, others not so good. Shelf life is king so some bulbs are treated to slow down the sprouting process. Others might be F1 hybrids which will be rubbish in the ground.

Organic bulbs might be worth a try. I keep meaning to but haven't got around to it yet.

Now is horribly late to be planting garlic. Wait until mid Autumn as over Wintered garlic is usually much better.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Elephant garlic is the future ! No more messing about cutting up silly garlic bits , just one of these bad boys is enough to flavour your favorite dish .

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Vampire problem in Lancashire?

He's tried to fend them off with a sun lamp but that didn't work. Look out for future threads about crosses or wooden stakes.
Now that both of you have mentioned it, i was thinking about planting some garlic bulbs on my dad's grave,to keep the bats in the cemetery at bay.:secret:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There i was today looking at seeds and bulbs outside a local supermarket when i saw some "plantable garlic bulbs". You get two for £1. Hold on i thought. I've had garlic bulbs at home that've been left too long and they've started to grow shoots.(that is actually the correct word and not CC's censored word used to describe a number 2 :smile:). You can buy something like 6 bulbs of garlic for eating for about £1. So what's the difference,if there is one between plantable garlic and edible garlic? Could i just plant the garlic you buy for eating and would they grow decent garlic?

If you buy “plantable” bulbs from a reputable supplier you will discover:

1. They won’t have been treated with shelf life enhancing chemicals
  2. They’ll be large and give 10-12 cloves for planting out
  3. Bulbs are £3-4 each so still cheaper than buying supermarket product
  4. You can chose a suitable variety for the UK. Most, if not all, supermarket garlic will not be UK grown.
Personally I wouldn’t grow elephant garlic as it only produces a bulb, not cloves.

Top Bottom