Garmin 200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Also, I notice the Elevation correction setting is turned on for your ride, this will cross reference your ride with an OS map and correct the elevation profile. This can cause a mismatch between what it says on the device and what it says on the Garmin Connect page. Arguably this is more accurate than the device. I don't know enough about how well it works to be able to comment on that.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
but in the first 15 miles if you add up the footage climbed, its already nearly over 1000ft - from mile 1 to top of ridge at mile 15 - which is what i dont get

dont you class every rise as footage climbed or do you just see that as a bump in the road, cause if you add up every rise, it accumalates to 4100ft

723 ft at the peak minus 70ft at the base = an elevation gain of 653 ft. For the 1st hill. looking at the total and the profile, it looks right to me.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
if i switch the elevation correction off it does say that i climbed a total of 4163ft - but the first climb its stating we climbed from 144ft to 1900ft over a 3 mile strecth which i think is totally wrong

Rob3rt can you have a look at the link i sent above and look on there how it reads for total feet gained over the ride please

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That is an obvious glitch (which the elevation correction has rightly removed), possibly caused by a sudden change of temperature and thus air pressure if it is relying on a barometric sensor. Sometimes these glitches are seen if you pause it for quite a while, say a cafe stop, then resume to. I have seen some silly things like being told I have climbed 1500ft while riding on a turbo trainer as well, when you review the profile it is like a step signal!

OP
OP
J

jowwy

723 ft at the peak minus 70ft at the base = an elevation gain of 653 ft. For the 1st hill. looking at the total and the profile, it looks right to me.
but within that stretch there is decent and climbs - i know its saying that i went from 70ft to 653ft - but thats more elevation gained rather than total climbing within that elevation gain, as there could have been many small climbs and descents before that

or am i just reading too much into the smaller climbs and descents

OP
OP
J

jowwy

i just think just because you have gone from 70ft to 1000ft, it doesnt mean that you have only done 930ft of climbing, cause there could have been many short climbs and ascents within that total elevation gain

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That is correct. But if those small undulations don't amount to much, you are going to have done only marginally more than 930ft of climbing, maybe 950ft!

OP
OP
J

jowwy

i just wish i could set it to show total climbing rather than just elevation gain, cause to me elevation gain isn't right

especially, when there are 3 climbs in there of 500ft, 250ft and 350ft with loads of smaller climbs in between

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is showing total climbing! On Garmin Connct, Elevation gain is the total amount of elevation gained, taking into account going up and down a bit.

the big hills account for 1100 ft, the rest of the total is the smaller undulations!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The total gained is what is given by Elevation gain, the absolute elevation at any point on the ride is given by hovering over the corresponding point on the elevation profile.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

The total gained is what is given by Elevation gain, the absolute elevation at any point on the ride is given by hovering over the corresponding point on the elevation profile.
rob3rt have you looked at the link above for the uk cycling event website and hovered over their ride profiles, it might show what i mean in more detail

the green profile is what i'm looking at doing next weekend - the wye valley warrior - i have done this ride in the past and my garmin said it was 1700ft of climbing - but the uk cycling website is showing 3500ft of climbing and thats what is throwiing me

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
rob3rt have you looked at the link above for the uk cycling event website and hovered over their ride profiles, it might show what i mean in more detail

the green profile is what i'm looking at doing next weekend - the wye valley warrior - i have done this ride in the past and my garmin said it was 1700ft of climbing - but the uk cycling website is showing 3500ft of climbing and thats what is throwiing me

Yes I have looked at the link.

If you doubt Garmin Connects derived metrics, load the file into some other websites or software and check what they come up with.

Top Bottom