Garmin 520/Wahoo Bolt/Smartphone using Strava app

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
I have a Garmin Edge 25 and think it`s a great wee unit, it`s never let me down and gives me everything I want. The problem is with me and my failing eyes!

So, I`m thinking of upgrading but which is best for me?

I only really want speed, distance and time with a facility to load and follow a route and then upload to Strava.

So, do I really need a GPS Unit or am I better off just using Google Maps on my phone and the Strava app

Any advice appreciated!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It depends on how much you use it. If it is just for the occasional day ride, your phone will do if you have some way of keeping it charged up.

If you do multi day tours I would go for a gps unit.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
I just need reading glasses so I would have to have them perched on my nose if I wanted to read the Edge 25, I`ll be blind again when I looked up if I wore them constantly lol

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
As above. Smart phone if short distance.

Anything more, Wahoo Elemnt rather than the Bolt as it is larger. You can scroll using the up/down buttons on the side to reduce the info down to the 3 data fields you want (and you can customise the order or units to anything you want to see) The fewer fields you zoom into, the larger the digits become. And you can have it backlit to further enhance the contrast.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Not sure it helps, but I am about to list my Edge 520 for sale. I just need to get the box out of the loft and take some photos.

tom73

Guru
As above. Smart phone if short distance.

Anything more, Wahoo Elemnt rather than the Bolt as it is larger. You can scroll using the up/down buttons on the side to reduce the info down to the 3 data fields you want (and you can customise the order or units to anything you want to see) The fewer fields you zoom into, the larger the digits become. And you can have it backlit to further enhance the contrast.

+1 @Heltor Chasca spot on Elemnt all the way

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It sounds as if you have similar vision issues to me. I swapped from Garmin to Wahoo for several reasons, one being the difficulty of reading the Garmin screen.

I have the Wahoo Elemnt which has a black and white screen, excellent definition and can be read in all light conditions.

The Wahoo is also vastly superior to Garmin , I had an 810, in many other ways. I would not consider anything else.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Well, I plumped for a Wahoo Elemnt (using money I received from Easyjet after they cancelled my flight home recently)

It`s got a bit more on it than the Garmin, I find something scroll on a bit and then can`t work out how I found the first item again.

I may be a while lol

Top Bottom