Garmin 530 any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

There seem to be a few black friday deals on this computer at the moment, around £160 and quite tempted at this price. Interested in the navigation features, linking up with my smartwatch - Garmin vivoactive 3, which I use to record rides with HR. I'm not too bothered about sensor integration; not interested in power meters or analysis of that stuff, beyond passing curiosity. Also interested in the ebike integration as I've just got an Orbea Gain and this device should pick up assist level, battery level and range.

Given I have a Garmin watch and the mount for my Cycliq light/camera is also Garmin compatible it seems a no-brainer to go for a garmin computer. The 530 is non touchscreen and according to reviews can be fiddly to use the buttons.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you read the DC Rainmaker reviews?

DCR is a must for reviews on all gadget things.

(I have had a 530 for a couple of years now - love mine for following routes and new apps like the Wind Field one are great on the go.)

Mike_P

Guru
Well worth having the Varia IMO. There is an issue with them however occasionally in having a radar error which needs to be cancelled. On the 530 you either stop and immediately restart the ride or press (IIRC) the bottom right where the 530 invariably announces radar disconnected only then to immediately reconnect.
Not that impressed with the auto reroute function on the 530 when you go off course as it does to always come up with Do a U turn which has to be cancelled a number of times before it actually looks for a new route.

Mike_P

Guru
Can you not turn that off in the routing settings under the profile in use?

Turn around alert is off. Or is this yet another confusing Garmin setting where on and off do the opposite to what would seem to be the case from its description.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, my other half is thinking about getting the 530, how did you get on with it? Can I load my GPX routes on to it? Do the maps update themselves like me 1030? thanks

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Hi there, my other half is thinking about getting the 530, how did you get on with it? Can I load my GPX routes on to it? Do the maps update themselves like me 1030? thanks

You can load GPX routes by adding them to the 'New files' folder but if you've created them 'Create a route' on Strava (if you are a subscriber), they upload automatically. My last map update had to me done manually via Garmin Connect.

Simon_m

Guru
You can load GPX routes by adding them to the 'New files' folder but if you've created them 'Create a route' on Strava (if you are a subscriber), they upload automatically. My last map update had to me done manually via Garmin Connect.

ah right thanks very much. That is good to know. The map itself, do you know if that automatically updates through Garmin? Thanks

Uploading routes I do through Garmin Connect. Only thing I find is that if you want to edit the route after you've finished as you've noticed you've messed up a bit - it's almost impossible to do that. But maybe that's just me.

I've never seen a map update but also I don't think I've seen the map being out of date ? I'll let you know if they add a new country lane though.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
ah right thanks very much. That is good to know. The map itself, do you know if that automatically updates through Garmin? Thanks

There's only been one map update since I got my 530 and that was last week when I used Garmin Express - and that took over an hour to download & install. There was no on-screen notification of any update on the 530 and I only knew about it when I connected to Express.

Top Bottom