Garmin 810 - adding maps improving navigation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Garmin 810 which is okay. It does the kind of follow a trail navigation and every now and again issues an instruction like turn left or right ahead but this seems to happen at random and I’ve no idea how/why.

i have 2 queries. Is it possible to add maps with road names etc to improve navigation. Secondly, is it possibl3 to control when or it issues a direction to turn?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Not sure about street names but you can upgrade your maps using this guide from DCRainmaker.

It will work great for you because your 810 has a MicroSD card slot so you can store bigger grids and more detailed maps than the shite that comes bog standard.

I used the same process to get a small map made for a few rides on my edge 520. Though it lacks a MicroSD card slot so in the end i could use very small grids.

Maybe it will work for you if you havent yet tried it yet

chriswoody

Legendary Member
As above, the DCRainmaker guide is brilliant. It completely transformed my edge 605 and is a relatively simple to do.

Like you, I sometimes get erroneous turn directions. I find it's either down to my route planning in Ride with GPS, or just the Garmin being it's quirky self. With a decent base map it's no stress. I often have a good sense of where I'm going so when it happens I often stop and flick across to the map screen to check. With the osm basemap I can easily zoom in or out and work out the problem.

I often ride the forests here in Germany and have no problems navigating the myriad trails with the osm basemap I downloaded following the above instructions.

I then just carry on the correct way and after a short while the Garmin starts behaving again. It's important though that the settings in your Garmin are set to stop it automatically re-routing you though and instead just notify you of issues. Re-routing is one thing my edge 605 really can't do.

Top Bottom