Garmin 810 Navigation problems.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
OK, so I am planning a course now and I will pop it onto the SD card and see how we go. It will be a long-way-round commute for e in the morning. Does the screen backlight stay on while navigating or do I have to manually do something?

EDIT: I am planning the route with RWGPS and exporting as .gpx

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

I'm also using an 810 with OSM that I think I got from the website indicated by the original poster.

The main purpose for it was to pre-plan courses in order to obtain turn by turn instructions, and I have used it to log data on club rides, when following a leader.

In short, I found it very flaky, sometimes switching off, sometimes freezing (requiring a switch-off). When using turn by turn instructions it would sometimes want to take me in to a field, and sometimes fail to announce required turns.

I've lived with it for over a year now and find it "90% good". What I mean by that I haven't had a freeze-up / switch off for a long time, but it still has erroneous turn annunciation issues on most multi hour rides. What I can say though is the route that is graphically displayed on the screen has never been wrong, so I am now in the habit of keeping an eye on where I am expecting to go, not just blindly respondingto turn instructions.

Things I did:

1) I altered the settings to those suggested by http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/foolproof-course-navigation-on-the-garmin-edge-800/ I realise the menu structure for the 810 is slightly different, but the same principles apply.

2) I always create my own navigation files in ridewithgps, I usually use .tcx files. Even if I plan a route in https://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/ I reinput into ridewithgps. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with cyclestreets files, I just wanted a one standard process for producing navigation files. (Well not really always, I've recently had the courage to use .gpx files from cycle.travel with success).

3) I avoid losing the gps signal by either hiding the garmin in my saddlebag when I go indoors at stops, or switch it off then switch it back on again when I'm ready to go. This does result in the recorded information being in several files, but there are online tools to glue them together in to one file.

4) As mentioned earlier, I keep an eye on the display, not just wait for the prompts.

Summarising, I've found navigating with the 810 to be acceptable after adopting the points listed above. I do sometimes go off route and it seems to cope - not throwing a wobbler, and picks the route up when I get back on course. But I wouldn't go anywhere I didn't know without an alternate mapping capability, be that paper maps or a smartphone with a mapping capability.

And a final word about recovering from being off course if you want turn by turn help from the Garmin to get back on course. I recently read an article / post on the internet that I can no longer find, but it stated that the temptation to use recalculating should be resisted. Instead, manually create a waymark (pushpin) on the onscreen map and do some button pressing to get the Garmin to take you to the waymark, at which point it will resume the course that is in the navigation file, but I don't know which buttons.............

Hope this helps

Graham
Excellent advice and thanks, this site is also referenced to and it contains some useful info. Again, written for the 800, but you can easily adapt for the 810.

dim

Excellent advice and thanks, this site is also referenced to and it contains some useful info. Again, written for the 800, but you can easily adapt for the 810.

a good site that ...

Thats were I got much of my info on the settings for my Edge 1000

also read the comments section .... loads of good tips and tricks

I have mine set to the car navigation style, glosnass off, and have it set to prompt me if I go off course. If I do, I get a loud beep and I just flick to the map page and see where I went wrong and backtrack.

works like a charm, plus I have the Garmin Varia Radar connected to my Edge, and have the heart strap, cadence and speed sensors, and the remote button to flick between pages/screens (brilliant and this should be included in the sale of the Garmin .... press a button and scroll between the screens instead of trying to swipe the screen with your glove while you are cycling at speed)

I also don't use wifi so that is also switched off.

The only probs that I have with mine is that sometimes it switches off during a ride (once or twice on a 100km route). Garmin are aware of this and will release a software update soon. It's not a problem though, as no data is lost when you switch it back on

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Hello all,

Well, I did the planned journey and it worked well. I created it as a course and just followed it. A couple of wrong turns but soon rectified. The thing I did notice was that you can't use these things like car satnavs - you really do need to keep an eye on the map and read the 'next turn' instructions at the top of the screen.

Once you're actually taking notice of where you're going, they're pretty good. It was also made it easier this time that a) I had my glasses, and, b) it wasn't dark and foggy!

So, thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Reactions: dim
Top Bottom