garmin 810 & strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S1mon

just been looking into the new 810 and it is no longer able to download rides to starva and garmin are keeping it this way...
so wont be having one of them then

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Erm......... where did you read this? I have uploaded data from an 810 to Strava approx 4-5 times a week for over a month now!

Even before Strava officially had support for the 810 you could upload to garmin Connect, then download the activity as a .tcx and then manually upload to Strava.

Lee_M

Guru
why whats stopping it?

surely it still uses standard file formats gpx etc so should be fine

OP
OP
S1mon

S1mon

garmin have changed the way it records the rides or something techy as they dont want there product used on another thing they did not design???

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
garmin have changed the way it records the rides or something techy as they dont want there product used on another thing they did not design???

When did they change this? Since last night?

Sounds like bollocks to me, I uploaded to Strava, Garmin Connect and Golden Cheetah last night, I would have also uploaded to WKO+ if I hadn't been called away mid-review of my ride data.

OP
OP
S1mon

S1mon

i dont know i just spoke to guy at evans so misinformed im afraid but its only on the 810 not the 800

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Where did you read that? The Strava phone app won't work with it, but if nothing else manual/bulk uploads of the tracks would still work.

OP
OP
S1mon

S1mon

you have the 810 robert?
my 800 is being aquired by my son so thought may as well upgrade instead of buying 800 again
it was the guy in evans that told me as i called them to check stock

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have a Garmin Edge 810, I uploaded to Strava last night, so either he is wrong, or they changed this over night, which would involve them changing the software on the unit in a firmware update, there has not been one since the one about a month ago, so ultimatelly, he was wrong!

I have my finger on the Garmin pulse right now with regards firmware updates because there are some major bugs with power meter data logging that I desperately want solving.

OP
OP
S1mon

S1mon

mmmm sounds like numpty on the phone to me sorry guys ....... off to wiggle we go credit card in hand

StuAff

In any case, there are almost always workarounds- it's not in Garmin's interest to lock out import/export of files (would somewhat kneecap the Edges!), therefore even if another site doesn't offer direct support than importing the data shouldn't be a problem.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Garmin have their hands full trying to resolve the reported issues with the device, I would doubt they are spending time alienating more users by crippling the device more than it already is. :tongue:

StuAff

Garmin have their hands full trying to resolve the reported issues with the device, I would doubt they are spending time alienating more users by crippling the device more than it already is. :tongue:
They don't learn, do they (thinks unfondly of Edge 705 v3.2....not that they ever sorted that one out properly either)?

Top Bottom