garmin 810 & strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is this a misunderstanding?

Both will download to a PC , but the 810 will upload via Bluetooth. I do not use Strava, but looking at the forums it appears that the Strava Apps cannot communicate with the 810 directly

So the 810 cannot upload to Strava directly............

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think they should be forced to support their product beyond its replacement with a new version, it was the only thing I was not keen on with buying a 800 the fact I know I am now in the firmware wilderness. They should support the unit 3 years beyond its replacement with a new model.

Cannot remember the exact difference from Rob's post on another thread regarding bike profiles, but the 800 comes with 5 I think. The interface is a big leap forward from the 705, sadly one of the main reason was I wanted one was the out front mount! Not had <touches wood> any issues thus far.

It seemed to me Bluetooth and Social connectiions were the main difference dont recall any claims to a better screen etc.

The difference between bike profiles on the 800 and the 810 is as follows:

The 800, allows 5 bike profiles, these profiles are limited to being an odometer for each of your bikes, pretty much. If you wanted to change data display, you had to change this each time and it would remain as such until otherwise edited.

The 810 takes things a massive step forward by introducing activity profiles, so you can have 5 bike profiles, which keep track of mileage etc, you also have a load of activity profiles in which you can customise different data displays and settings etc. When you turn the unit on you are taken to a home screen where you select the bike you are going to ride and then the activity profile you want (eg. training, turbo, racing, leisure, touring etc), you then hit ride and you get data display and settings relevant only for that activity. It removed the compromise and/or the need to constantly edit your data displays. The 810 is brilliant in this regard, I love this UI feature. Shame that the parts they got right were all related to the skin on top, the meat and bones below (i.e. the core features etc) is junk as it stands.

Is this a misunderstanding?

Both will download to a PC , but the 810 will upload via Bluetooth. I do not use Strava, but looking at the forums it appears that the Strava Apps cannot communicate with the 810 directly

So the 810 cannot upload to Strava directly............

If connecting to a pc, the 810 works just the same as previous devices. End of story in that regard.

As for the new features:

The 810 can also upload to Garmin Connect using a Bluetooth link with your phone and the Garmin Connect mobile app, saving the need to connect once home.

The limitations of this new feature are that 810 only communicates with your phone using the Garmin Connect mobile app, it will not communicate with other apps such as Stava, Endomondo etc.

The difference between bike profiles on the 800 and the 810 is as follows:

The 800, allows 5 bike profiles, these profiles are limited to being an odometer for each of your bikes, pretty much. If you wanted to change data display, you had to change this each time and it would remain as such until otherwise edited.

The 810 takes things a massive step forward by introducing activity profiles, so you can have 5 bike profiles, which keep track of mileage etc, you also have a load of activity profiles in which you can customise different data displays and settings etc. When you turn the unit on you are taken to a home screen where you select the bike you are going to ride and then the activity profile you want (eg. training, turbo, racing, leisure, touring etc), you then hit ride and you get data display and settings relevant only for that activity. It removed the compromise and/or the need to constantly edit your data displays. The 810 is brilliant in this regard, I love this UI feature. Shame that the parts they got right were all related to the skin on top, the meat and bones below (i.e. the core features etc) is junk as it stands.

If connecting to a pc, the 810 works just the same as previous devices. End of story in that regard.

As for the new features:

The 810 can also upload to Garmin Connect using a Bluetooth link with your phone and the Garmin Connect mobile app, saving the need to connect once home.

The limitations of this new feature are that 810 only communicates with your phone using the Garmin Connect mobile app, it will not communicate with other apps such as Stava, Endomondo etc.

Which is exactly the point I made........

The OP was told that the 810 will not communicate with Strava. That is factually correct - Strava does not support Bluetooth.
However the files can be uploaded in the same way as the 800 and then into Strava

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Which is exactly the point I made........

The OP was told that the 810 will not communicate with Strava. That is factually correct - Strava does not support Bluetooth.
However the files can be uploaded in the same way as the 800 and then into Strava

No it is not factually correct, hence I commented. If you connect your 810 to your pc, go to Strava and click upload, it will detect the 810 connected to your pc and upload your activities just as Garmin Connect would, i.e. Strava can get the data directly from the 810, using a cable, just not via bluetooth.

There is a difference between the statements "the Garmin Edge 810 can not upload directly to Strava using a bluetooth connection" and "the Garmin Edge 810 can not upload to Strava".

The former is factually correct, the latter is not factually correct, it is incorrect. The OP was told the latter!

I thought we already established the source of this misunderstanding weeks ago when the thread was posted.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I like that feature of the 810, but that is the only thing that I would use over the 800.
What I don't understand is why they can't update the 800 to have the same interface.
I don't think I can justify the cost increase of the 810 over the 800 just for the UI (especially when some of it is not as thought out as it should be).

I like that feature of the 810, but that is the only thing that I would use over the 800.
What I don't understand is why they can't update the 800 to have the same interface.
I don't think I can justify the cost increase of the 810 over the 800 just for the UI (especially when some of it is not as thought out as it should be).
I forget what happened to my 800 there but iirc it did change from 3 bikes to multiple when I updated the firmware; after you enter all the details though it loses them when you switch off :sad:

No it is not factually correct, hence I commented. If you connect your 810 to your pc, go to Strava and click upload, it will detect the 810 connected to your pc and upload your activities just as Garmin Connect would, i.e. Strava can get the data directly from the 810, using a cable, just not via bluetooth.

There is a difference between the statements "the Garmin Edge 810 can not upload directly to Strava using a bluetooth connection" and "the Garmin Edge 810 can not upload to Strava".

The former is factually correct, the latter is not factually correct, it is incorrect. The OP was told the latter!

I thought we already established the source of this misunderstanding weeks ago when the thread was posted.

Please read the posts?

The 810 does NOT upload to Strava

It uploads to a 3rd party which then uploads to Strava

Hence your statement that the statement that the 810 does not upload toStrava is factually incorrect is in fact factually incorrect

Ps. You never need to connect the 810 to a Computer!

Download by Bluetooth to a Smartphone and it will update to Garmin. Connect. These files can then be accessed and transferred (as above)

I have yet to link my 810 to any of my computers

Robeh

BTW, something I came across on the Garmin forums, which is relevant to the OP and may interest some other prospective users, or indeed current but unaware 810 users.

You can use: http://www.garminsync.com/ to push Garmin Connect activities to Strava, what this means is that you can upload your data to Strava wirelessly (via Bluetooth and your mobile phone) using the 810. When you press stop, it gives you the option to save or discard the activity, if you hit save, it will save the activity to your 810 and if you have paired it to your mobile phone it will upload the activity file to Garmin Connect via the app on your phone just as Garmin intended and advertised, then garminsync will push the activity to Strava for you.

Note: I have NOT tried this, I do not pair my Garmin 810 with my phone so do not use the wireless upload or live track features.
Excellent post just sighed up to garmin sync,will try it out on my next ride hopefully tomorrow...

I think if you were to plug in to a PC you would understand what Rob3rt is saying, ie it willl upload where ever you want...

Not in dispute

The fact that he is claiming is incorrect is that the 810 itself does not upload to Strava

Top Bottom