Garmin 820 demo appears on YouTube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I already know I can't afford it

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It looks like a 520 with touch screen and full navigation. That's not a criticism BTW - it makes sense from a product integration point of view.

The bit I find interesting is the IQ button that's shown in some parts of the video. IQ Apps are available on the 520 and 1000, but they only support a very small subset of functions that are available to the the Garmin wearable devices. It's really frustrating, as I've few things I'd like to develop for my 520, but I've been stymied every time by the lack of access to position, elevation, sounds, di2 etc.

It'd be good if they support more of the programming interface on the 820, which might then trickle back on to the 520 and 1000 via firmware updates.

I am a nerd.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I don't get the purpose of this particular model
It's a fair point. My guess is that it's more about Garmin making their hardware and software more consistent across the range.

When I replaced my 705 with a 520 I was worried that I'd miss the full turn-by-turn navigation for the occasional credit-card tour and longer distance explore, but the 520's pre-plotted breadcrumb trail has worked out just fine. I'm no fan of touch screens on bike 'puters, but that's purely personal. The 1000 is quite big, so something with the the same functionality but with a smaller form-factor might appeal.

400bhp

Guru
It looks like a 520 with touch screen and full navigation. That's not a criticism BTW - it makes sense from a product integration point of view.

The bit I find interesting is the IQ button that's shown in some parts of the video. IQ Apps are available on the 520 and 1000, but they only support a very small subset of functions that are available to the the Garmin wearable devices. It's really frustrating, as I've few things I'd like to develop for my 520, but I've been stymied every time by the lack of access to position, elevation, sounds, di2 etc.

It'd be good if they support more of the programming interface on the 820, which might then trickle back on to the 520 and 1000 via firmware updates.

I am a nerd.

What are you thinking? I've downloaded the ride notes app and the heart rate colour apps for my 520.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's a fair point. My guess is that it's more about Garmin making their hardware and software more consistent across the range.

When I replaced my 705 with a 520 I was worried that I'd miss the full turn-by-turn navigation for the occasional credit-card tour and longer distance explore, but the 520's pre-plotted breadcrumb trail has worked out just fine. I'm no fan of touch screens on bike 'puters, but that's purely personal. The 1000 is quite big, so something with the the same functionality but with a smaller form-factor might appeal.
Yeah I guess, I'd be concerned if the Edge 1010/1020 appeared, because there is realistically (with the exception of screen size) no longer any unique benefit to owning a 1000. I would still have one though

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Time for me to get a 810 I follow the Garmin one behind route can't be arsed to pay to be a beta tester for their new stuff!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
What are you thinking? I've downloaded the ride notes app and the heart rate colour apps for my 520.
I've had one or two ideas that I'd like to try out. Nothing groundbreaking, but they'd keep me out of trouble.

The easiest to make happen would be a gear indicator that beeped if you'd crossed your chain. My local area doesn't have the big climbs but lots of short-sharp stuff, so I'm up and down the gears like Richard Clayderman. I hate crossing my chain but seem to do it all the time, so an idiot beeper would help without taking up any screen real-estate. The IQ API doesn't give access to Di2 gear info but others have managed to estimate gears from speed and cadence so I'm sure I could have a stab at this part, but I still wouldn't be able to emit a sound as this isn't supported for Edge devices.

Next on the list was a hill category/score indicator, based on the Strava method, but this is where the Edge-supported API gets silly in that it doesn't give access to the elevation figure, only the total ascent and descent. I've tried back-deriving a gradient from these and, although it's doable in theory the gradients are badly out, I think due to the way the Edge algorithm that determines ascent or descent. It might work on longer climbs where the oddities of the ascent algorithm should get smoothed out, but see short-sharp stuff above.

Further down the list was a crude estimate of aerodynamic efficiency - something like a CdA - based on power output, bike/rider weight etc, but this would need gradient again to be useful on all but he flattest of courses.

There are a few more things I'd like to try to they're all knackered at birth because position isn't accessible either. Sort it out Garmin!

400bhp

Guru

I went from the 705 to the 520 and had the same concerns over turn-by-turn.

If you're not aware already you can download the tcx file from ridewithgps, upload it to bikeroutetoaster, then download again and ask bikeroutetoaster to put warning points on the file. I use this method. I go for 300ft from the turn point rather than 150ft as it seems to work better.

e-rider

crappy member
Yeah I guess, I'd be concerned if the Edge 1010/1020 appeared, because there is realistically (with the exception of screen size) no longer any unique benefit to owning a 1000. I would still have one though
I'm keen to buy a 820 because I want the functions of the 1000 but in a smaller unit - the 1000 is simply too big!

e-rider

crappy member
looks like the video has been pulled - at least we know it's in the pipeline now - probably a couple of months until in the shops though

Top Bottom