Garmin 820 Edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I have started using a Garmin Edge 820 but I'm having issues with the live track.

In my IOS Bluetooth I see:

BT_Edge 820
Edge 820

The top one doesn't seem to auto connect so I think this is the issue with my live track failing?

I have re-installed the device several times, and removed it from my Garmin account and added it back but this issue seems to remain.

Has anyone had this issue and fixed it?

I've had livetrack issues on my 810. I only see one device though. Two things seem to make a difference for me, the device has to tell me the phone is connected and in the livetrack options on Garmin Connect I always tick the box to make it available for 24hrs after the activity and also set it to autostart. I include myself in the email recipients so I can check it's working. When it works it's great, when it doesn't it's frustrating.

si_c

Guru
I had an issue after the recent software update where the bluetooth seemed to drop out - like you I had BT edge 820 and Edge 820 on the phone - so I unpaired both and then removed it from the app and then re-added it in.

I only had the one unit then and it auto-connected again fine. I use Strava beacon for livetracking, but I also have it set to email myself the Garmin link in case I need it otherwise. Using the beacon feature with Strava is great as you get the notification from your app that it's working - for me it seems to work every time.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I will see if I can make the unit back to factory and re-update it, and do as you said but I tried that a lot.

It could be my phone I suppose it's 3yrs old.

si_c

Guru
I will see if I can make the unit back to factory and re-update it, and do as you said but I tried that a lot.

It could be my phone I suppose it's 3yrs old.
Could be - I'd remove the device from the phone though as well - don't just reset the 820 - otherwise the phone will remember it and you won't repair properly.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Garmin seem to be having an issue with Live Track a lot recently, it seems to independent of device. I got mine (and a friend) back up and running by pairing my phone again. Certainly the crash detection worked and a message was sent when I came off yesterday.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Could be - I'd remove the device from the phone though as well - don't just reset the 820 - otherwise the phone will remember it and you won't repair properly.

That’s the frustrating thing, I removed the device from the app and the Bluetooth, and then restarted the phone, Also removed phone from device and restarted it.

I’m sure it isn’t the Garmin it was fine until I updated it.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Hi all - i`m thinking of upgrading my Garmin Edge. I have a 25 my my old eyes are having difficulty reading the screen - I need a large print Garmin. I liked the Edge 25 as it meant my wife could track me and give her piece of mind whenever I am out. I presume the 820 has the same functionality?

On a slight side issue, I also had trouble with the LIve Track not working. It seems that sometimes when the Garmin Connect updates, things go a bit awol. I found out that if you rolled back to earlier versions of the app that things worked perfectly again which seems a bit bizarre!

si_c

Guru
Hi all - i`m thinking of upgrading my Garmin Edge. I have a 25 my my old eyes are having difficulty reading the screen - I need a large print Garmin. I liked the Edge 25 as it meant my wife could track me and give her piece of mind whenever I am out. I presume the 820 has the same functionality?

On a slight side issue, I also had trouble with the LIve Track not working. It seems that sometimes when the Garmin Connect updates, things go a bit awol. I found out that if you rolled back to earlier versions of the app that things worked perfectly again which seems a bit bizarre!
That kinda makes sense.

And the 820 has livetrack, I use it for Mrs C so she doesn't worry.

Nebulous

Guru
I get a lot of problems with live track / Strava beacon. Probably works 6 or 7 times out of 10. Then I get a text from my wife saying it isn't working and I've to stop and faff about at the side of the road.

Strangely on Friday when I stopped to check connect it told me Strava wasn't installed then said there was a system error. When I got home I had to uninstall both connect and Strava and start again.

Top Bottom