Garmin 820

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JasD

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience with the Garmin 820? I'm particularly interested to know how long it's battery can be made to last if lowest power mode settings are utilised?

mattobrien

Guru
I have a Garmin 820, although have not tried to turn power consumption down to get longer battery life. The 820 replaces a 510 and I would say that the 820 is a little more power hungry than the 510, and appears to use more juice while actively navigating.

OP
OP
JasD

JasD

@mattobrien Thanks for the reply. How long would you say you are generally getting out of the battery? I have the Garmin 25 at the moment and run it on the lowest battery profile possible, but i only get 6 hours max out of it, whilst the Garmin figure for the battery suggests more. What i'm really interested in is the real world battery usage in comparison to the Garmin stated figures.

mattobrien

Guru
I don't think I have got the battery under 50% and that is probably after 4 hours of use on full power and navigation.

To be fair, I tend to charge my Garmin after longer rides and don't really go out for any rides where I am likely to completely deplete the battery. The only time this would have happened was the double dun run last year, but I had the 510 and took a portable battery and charged it to 100% half way.

OP
OP
JasD

JasD

Ah 50% after four hours is decent. Does this Garmin device allow charging half way through a ride without closing off the file so you have to start a new ride after charging? The 25 does this and it's extremely annoying that it forces the file to be closed and saved as soon as the charger is plugged in.

mattobrien

Guru
I have managed to successfully charge my 510 while using it. I haven't tried with the 820, but I know it can be done with the 1000, so I expect the 820 will allow it too.

OP
OP
JasD

JasD

Ah that is good to hear, the inability to charge the 25 without it closing the file has been extremely frustrating.

mythste

Veteran
Ah that is good to hear, the inability to charge the 25 without it closing the file has been extremely frustrating.

If i remember correctly there is a cable you can buy that has the data connection pin removed, effectively "tricking" the garmin into not realising its plugged in but charging the battery. I think theyre called "on the go" charging cables.

mattobrien

Guru
@JasD As an update to this, I forgot to charge my 820 after the last use and used it again tonight. After 4 house ride time it was showing that it had 71% battery left. Navigation wasn't used during either of these rides. If 4 hrs was 29%, then that would give around 13-14 hrs total usage on a single charge.

OP
OP
JasD

JasD

Oh that's amazing, that is a very reasonable battery life. The update to this is greatly appreciated, thank you @mattobrien :smile:

Top Bottom