Garmin advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
I use the fenix5x for recording data and hr checks. My old garmin 500 for data i like to see while riding, plus it gives me a breadcrumb route which is usually fine. If it failed I could check the maps on my fenix or even use my phone. I really like the fenix great for multiple activities, and a full smart watch.

Stephenite

Membå
The watch stays on my wrist. I don't do so much cycling outside of the commute. :shy:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I bought an edge 830 last weekend, I like how the ride automatically uploads when I get home, I like how it gives me turn directions, I don't like it telling me I am about to hit a climb, the mapping isn't a patch on the Satmap.

Oh and Leeds are back in the premier league. (why no drunk emoji?)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I have a Wahoo elment bolt and love it and so simple to use and have no issues uploading rides . I like you know my local area really well and rode for over a year without any GPS . But since getting one I discover so many more local lanes I previously would not have riden and found GPS invaluable when on holiday in Cornwall . The new Wahoo roam is probably direct competition for a Garmin 830 and worth looking into . I personally would not want my smart phone on any mount on my handlebars

If I treated gates like you do I would agree.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

If you’re looking for navigation just don’t buy a secondhand Garmin 810. I’ve had one since 2013 and it’s great for recording ride stats but hopeless at navigation - it just turns itself off randomly. I tried it again a few weeks ago hoping that system updates would’ve sorted the problem: created a route on RWGPS, loaded up and followed it but 30 mins in the 810 just switched itself off. I didn’t bother meddling with it because I thought the navigation had just drained the battery (I’d started off with 82% battery). When I got home 90 mins later I switched it on to find I still had 75% battery. Bizarre.

I’m thinking of upgrading to an 830 just to get better navigation as I’d like to explore new routes, but seeing they’ve just launched the 1030 Plus, I’m wondering if I should wait and see if an 830 Plus is due out soon?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
odd
i have an 800 and its fine are you sure there isnt a loose connection or maybe the battery is on its way out ?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have the Garmin 530 and it's a great bit of kit, useful when hiking as well.

I do think that the " back" and " confirm" buttons are in the wrong place, I'd prefer the "confirm" button to be opposite the "up/down" buttons and not up on the top right hand side which I find counterintuitive.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have the Garmin 530 and it's a great bit of kit, useful when hiking as well.

I do think that the " back" and " confirm" buttons are in the wrong place, I'd prefer the "confirm" button to be opposite the "up/down" buttons and not up on the top right hand side which I find counterintuitive.
i have a 520 plus , wish i had gone for the 810 when i had chance as like you i find the buttons not very intuitive

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
...Don’t buy a secondhand Garmin 810. I’ve had one since 2013 and it’s great for recording ride stats but hopeless at navigation - it just turns itself off randomly....
My Garmin 810 did that on occasion originally, but not much anymore. I find it is more stable if I upload the route from the site I created from via the genuine USB lead; many copies appear to fit but often the data doesn't transfer correctly.

When I first got it I would create a course Ridewithgps ( I now use alltrails) then import that into Garmin connect and then bluetooth or via USB lead to the unit; I noticed it was much less stable then. If you still have yours no harm in doing a factory reset and updates, then try what I have been doing?

Last edited:

BigMeatball

If you cycle leisurely, the main benefit of having a bike computer is that you can plan your routes beforehand.

You sync your wahoo or garmin to apps such as ridewithgps and you can plan and see exactly distance and ascent.

Good in the long term because week after week you can plan longer rides and that's how you improve. Having a route to follow lets you explore new areas, maybe find out new coffee spots, and yet takes away the uncertainty of not knowing where you're ending up.

That's just for leisurely cycling, so I'm not even getting into hr and wattage related stuff.

I've got a wahoo elemnt bolt, which I love and use all the time. Never had a garmin so I can't make any comparisons.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

My Garmin 810 did that on occasion originally, but not much anymore. I find it is more stable if I upload the route from the site I created from via the genuine USB lead; many copies appear to fit but often the data doesn't transfer correctly.

When I first got it I would create a course Ridewithgps ( I now use alltrails) then import that into Garmin connect and then bluetooth or via USB lead to the unit; I noticed it was much less stable then. If you still have yours no harm in doing a factory reset and updates, then try what I have been doing?

Good tip, thanks. I was using the genuine usb lead but not loading via Garmin Connect, instead just loading direct into the folder on the device. I’ll give it go.

Top Bottom