Garmin advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Good tip, thanks. I was using the genuine usb lead but not loading via Garmin Connect, instead just loading direct into the folder on the device. I’ll give it go.
I seldom use Garmin Connect as it appears to share routing with runners,navigating the wrong way around a round about, in effect you override and temporarily go off course, this can cause it to crash. Take a look at alltrails.

I'm surprised no one has turned up and said you should get a Wahoo rather than a Garmin.
Pretty sure they'll be along. Still at matins I think, then the Wahoo chanting will start until noon.

On the original question:
short answer:
something like the Etrex 20.
I wouldn't use a phone.
OSM (free to plonk on your garmin) is significantly better than google maps for cyclists I think.
Longer answer - a search will find the pros and cons of various GPS approaches discussed all over the place.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I have an 830 and love it, it's the best (of the 800 series) Edge I've owned, they have massively improved system stability, speed in all respects, battery life and maps for UK and EU are preinstalled free - no more faffing about with open maps and microSD cards. A friend has the 530 and likes it but gets frustrated at the buttons (and the unintuitive menu system which is most definitely a thing).

Obviously there is the larger 1000 series, but its akin to having a phone on your handlebars so YMMV.

If you do get a bike computer and want even more incentive to try new routes, create a free Veloviewer account which syncs with Strava and go do some Explorer Squares...

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
It depends what you are looking for it to do. If you say you don't have the confidence, why splash out on an expensive one. I work out my routes in advance at home and trust my instinct. I've just got a 130 for logging data, works fine for me. There is a basic breadcrumb map on it but I've never used it. I was going to go for a second hand 520 but in the end didn't think I would use all of the features so managed to get a reasonable cheap 130.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have an 830 and love it, it's the best (of the 800 series) Edge I've owned, they have massively improved system stability, speed in all respects, battery life and maps for UK and EU are preinstalled free - no more faffing about with open maps and microSD cards. A friend has the 530 and likes it but gets frustrated at the buttons (and the unintuitive menu system which is most definitely a thing).

Obviously there is the larger 1000 series, but its akin to having a phone on your handlebars so YMMV.

If you do get a bike computer and want even more incentive to try new routes, create a free Veloviewer account which syncs with Strava and go do some Explorer Squares...
Love mine too. Agree.....it's the best yet!

stephec

Legendary Member
I love my gadgets. Have the Edge 830 for the bike and have just splashed out on the Fenix 6 pro for wearing. Absolutely no reason why the Fenix wouldn’t be perfectly fine for cycling but I prefer a bigger screen and having it in front of me. I believe you can ask the 830 to make up a route for you but haven’t tried it yet. Must give it a go.
Oooooooh, Fenix 6, get you! 😊

livpoksoc

Guru
I have an edge 520, having upgraded from the edge 200. I have only had one real issue with it to date when it froze mid ride. I personally prefer it because if I want to do a longer ride, I'd rather not have to rely on my phone battery for mapping and then any emergency calls to the Mrs to pick me up - I'd prefer to split the two out.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have an edge 520, having upgraded from the edge 200. I have only had one real issue with it to date when it froze mid ride. I personally prefer it because if I want to do a longer ride, I'd rather not have to rely on my phone battery for mapping and then any emergency calls to the Mrs to pick me up - I'd prefer to split the two out.
i have a 200 i use for commuting as i dont mind if it breaks , well not too much i did stick a new battery in it and it lasts all week with half a battery left .

Top Bottom