Garmin Ant issues!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirty Camino

Regular
So in preparation for my indoor training/Zwift sessions I've got myself a Garmin Ant+ USB stick to plug into my laptop (Windows 11).however nothing seems to connect to it using Garmin Express.

I've fully updated the computer and all drivers
I've tried the stick in each of the 3 USB ports (it's recognised in each of them by the computer)
I've searched the Internet!
Garmin Express is on the latest version. Uninstalled/reinstalled, restarted laptop numerous times.
In frustration I've emailed Garmin (not expecting a response though!)

Anyone got any ideas?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
emailed Garmin (not expecting a response though!)

Anyone got any ideas?
Don't email them, raise a ticket on Https://support.garmin.com

I've always got quick response that way.

Buck

Guru
Check that the ANT+ sensor is close to your garmin sensors. I have mine on a USB extension cable to get it closer to the bike/sensors as my Zwift PC is tucked in the corner.

OP
OP
D

Dirty Camino

Regular
@Buck i was trying it out on my dining table with them right next to it so don't think any issues with proximity. Also turned phone Bluetooth off as apparently that can sometimes interfere with the signal.

@fossyant I haven't yet tried it with Zwift until the bikes all setup but Garmin Express should pick it up. I have read about people having issues with it and zwift though which os why I thought I'd get it sorted first, before I'm paying the subscription!

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@Buck i was trying it out on my dining table with them right next to it so don't think any issues with proximity. Also turned phone Bluetooth off as apparently that can sometimes interfere with the signal.

@fossyant I haven't yet tried it with Zwift until the bikes all setup but Garmin Express should pick it up. I have read about people having issues with it and zwift though which os why I thought I'd get it sorted first, before I'm paying the subscription!

You can test it with the free subscription ! I don't think I did any more than install zwift and that took care of the rest.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You can test it with the free subscription ! I don't think I did any more than install zwift and that took care of the rest.

Indeed afaik express is only for connecting the head unit to sync data via Bluetooth or cable.nothing to do with sensors.
I use cheap sensors linked by a life line ant dongle and zwift sees them ok

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm not sure what relevance Garmin Express has here. I've only ever used it for getting updates for older, less fancy, GPS devices. More modern ones do their updates over the air via Garmin Connect. It's a long time since I used it at all, it's pretty much a legacy app I think. Maybe it has some other purpose that I don't know about.

From what I can figure out you're using an ANT+ dongle (which happens to come from Garmin) to connect your smart trainer to Zwift on the laptop? I'm not familiar with Zwift but I've done this using with other training software. You go into the training app (in this case Zwift) and do something like "search for trainers". No need to mess around with Garmin Express or Garmin Connect.

What I'd do under these circs is check that you have the right device drivers for the dongle. Go into device manager and mooch around until you find the ant+ device and that might give you some clues.

Edit. A quick google threw up this. Great minds think alike. They don't actually say "go and mooch around in device manager" but it's close
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=lhcXYdqFRP1bbumefCOf37
and this
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=ou3m0nRwm96rLy6X9TqJb6

Last edited:
Top Bottom