Garmin Edge 1000 repair / service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
PS don't email they are cr@p at responding and when they do its not helpful. Ring them and they respond instantly and helpfully.
Thanks
I just called them, I can have a refurbished exchange for £ 195 or trade it in for another model.
They are going to Email the choices & prices. Basically full Garmin web price minus 30%.

Last edited:
Thanks
I just called them, I can have a refurbished exchange for £ 195 or trade it in for another model.
They are going to Email the choices & prices. Basically full Garmin web price minus 30%.
I think when my 1000 failed it was £180 but when I asked to trade it in for the 1030 it was £128 :okay:

OP
OP
Mark Grant

Mark Grant

The thing that is putting me off the 1030 plus is the micro USB, it's one of the bits that have failed on my Edge 1000. I've also had them fail on phones and a kindle, The Karoo 2 uses USB C.

The thing that is putting me off the 1030 plus is the micro USB, it's one of the bits that have failed on my Edge 1000. I've also had them fail on phones and a kindle, The Karoo 2 uses USB C.
DC rainmaker keeps on positively mentioning USB C over micro USB, its usually 'come on Garmin', that must be the reason 👍Touch wood micro usb has never failed on me. I think he did say the 1030 port was more protected but it's too early to say 😯

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I purchased my Edge 1000 back in June 2016, it has been faultless but the on off button has just failed, it looks to be ‘stuck in’ and has a slight split. I called Garmin today and they have offered a refurbished unit, same model at a cost of £195 or 30% off a new model.
This seems a lot of money to me, if I accept the refurbished unit then the button issue may arise again.
Not sure what to do now?

Last edited:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I purchased my Edge 1000 back in June 2016, it has been faultless but the on off button has just failed, it looks to be ‘stuck in’ and has a slight split. I called Garmin today and they have offered a refurbished unit, same model at a cost of £195 or 30% off a new model.
This seems a lot of money to me, if I accept the refurbished unit then the button issue may arise again.
Not sure what to do now? View attachment 596386
This is a common problem with the Edge 1000 which is why I’m not prepared to buy another. In the end I did a simple repair on mine which is still good after over 2 years.

OP
OP
Mark Grant

Mark Grant

@Spiderweb , my switch is the same, I think I've had my Edge 7 years.
One way to look at it is that they are giving you £ 156 for your Edge 1000 against a new 1030 Plus which is more than you'd get for it selling it anywhere else.
Still means shelling out £ 364 though!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
@Spiderweb , my switch is the same, I think I've had my Edge 7 years.
One way to look at it is that they are giving you £ 156 for your Edge 1000 against a new 1030 Plus which is more than you'd get for it selling it anywhere else.
Still means shelling out £ 364 though!
I think that’s what I’ll end up doing. At the moment I can’t switch it on at all with my finger but a Bic pen top seems to work👍

Not sure what to do now? View attachment 596386
My second one failed like that a few weeks back (the first failed the same way) and I was going to get a new case fitted at a local repair place but the owner was honest and said they only had scratched cases left.

So I phoned garmin not expecting much. I mentioned to them I have had two failures like that (my original 1000 and the refurb 1000) when they offered a like for like for £195, and that I'd prefer an upgrade. They said they'll see what they could do. After a minute they came back with the offer of a 1030 for £128.👍

Lol, I sent it off that fast I forgot I had left my SD card in the 1000 :laugh:

Sallar55

Veteran
If your on /off button does not work an easy fix is plug in a USB pack, this switches on the edge1000. 😀 The USB plug may be the problem as the locking pins may be worn out. Have glued up the split rubber covering the power switch, going to wait until garmin uses the latest USB C socket on the edge units. This fix has lasted 2 months.

OP
OP
Mark Grant

Mark Grant

I tried yet another micro USB cable and it has been connecting to the PC for data transfer just fine so I've put that cable aside to use just for the Garmin.
Bouyed by the fact that the USB no longer seemed to be a problem I went down the @JtB route to fix the switch, a piece of eraser was cut to shape and glued to the existing switch rubber, that was fixed back in place with some cyano and a smear of silicone over the top, a silicone cover from Ebay and the jobs a goodun!

Top Bottom