Garmin Edge 200 water resistance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lb81

Off to buy a Garmin this morning before the £30 cash back offer ends to replace my old wireless Count8.

I see in the specs its 'water resistant' which is important as i ride in all weathers. Is it water resistant, or do i need to stash it away in a downpour?

Heavy rain forecast tomorrow and dont want to fry my new device :smile:

400bhp

Guru
If it doesn't work in heavy downpours then it's a useless bit of kit.

I have a Garmin 705 and it's fine in whatever weather.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is water resistance, i.e. it is fine with rain and surface water (a rubber plug covers the USB port, the speaker holes for beeps and alerts are underneath to water will not ingress under normal conditions - including heavy rain), just don't submerge it in the bath or something daft!

Really.... don't worry about it, these things are built for purpose and will take a great deal of punishment. I have drop kicked my Garmin Edge along the street at least twice (dropped it while running and accidently kicked it) and it was barely scraped. It's been used in all weather and also covered in sweat during turbo sessions to the point the screen is unreadable and the mount if filled with sweat underneath when I take it off afterwards. It still works A-OK.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Off to buy a Garmin this morning before the £30 cash back offer ends to replace my old wireless Count8.

I see in the specs its 'water resistant' which is important as i ride in all weathers. Is it water resistant, or do i need to stash it away in a downpour?

Heavy rain forecast tomorrow and dont want to fry my new device :smile:

Yes works fine in the rain, had mine for about a month now and got caught in a huge downpour the other week and it was fine.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Had a Edge 500 (and now have a 200 also due to the cashback). Have used it in many a rainstorm with no bother. Just have to make sure that the rubber cover for the usb port is sealed properly.

Svendo

Guru
Here's a link to DCRainmaker who does reviews of GPS devices, and his review of the Garmin 200. About halfway down he covers weather and water resistance, and as you'll see there's nothing to worry about. The link to his other tests has a youtube of him immersing a few units in the bath!
As 400bhp, my 705 has worked fine in all weathers, including very heavy prolonged rain many times. I've also had it bounce down the road at 25mph and it's been on the bike in a few crashes, where it's faithfully recorded the annoyingly sudden deceleration!

OP
OP
L

lb81

Excellent, thanks guys.

Just collected it and fitted. No battery so needs a decent charge before my commute home tonight but the 5 mins i had it on it looks like a really good purchase! With the cash back its also great value!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Excellent, thanks guys.

Just collected it and fitted. No battery so needs a decent charge before my commute home tonight but the 5 mins i had it on it looks like a really good purchase! With the cash back its also great value!

Yes they are very good, you just need to remember to charge it before you go out and switch it off when you get home.

Not that I would forget you understand ............. not me ............ no no :whistle:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I left my 500 in the jersey pocket when I put the jersey in the washing machine :blush: .
Remembered about 20 minutes later, drained the washer and nervously turned the unit on.
Worked perfectly, and still does.

zizou

Veteran
GPS units tend to be slower picking up a signal the first time it is used or if you are turning it on a distance away from where you last used it. If you turn it on and off in the general area (like outside your house) then it will be much quicker.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just got one a couple of days ago too and got an email from Garmin saying I should get my cash back soon. No problem with GPS pick up at all, virtually instant from when I press start. Love how easy it is to move it between bikes.

Just as an aside, has anyone tried taking it on a walk/jog? I presume it would do ok for this too or maybe if it was put in a pocket it may not pick up the GPS? Maybe try it tomorrow just out of interest.

Top Bottom