Garmin Edge 500 - Set up advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Hi guys,

I'm sure there must be a few of you out there with one of these and I was just after some input on what data fields you choose to display.
I know this is very much a personal thing, and I don't utilise a cadence or HR sensor as yet, but already my page 1 is a bit cramped and I was giving thoughts to spreading vital data over two screens and having it loop through...

Anyway, just interested in what the rest of you do really.

I have the Garmin 800 - show time(as in clock), distance, cadence, speed and ride time on my front page. I've not had it too long though so this may change once I get more used to it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Page 1
Time Of Day
Speed
Avg Speed
Distance
Elevation
Gradient
Page 2
Elapsed Time
Moving Time
Temperature
Heading
Total Ascent
Total Descent

I don't use HRM or Cadence

I scroll between the 2 pages as and when.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Cheers guys. Just been having a play with mine on my lunch break and have settled initially on these, but like SquareDaff I'm sure it will change:

Page 1 (minimal - just vital regularly needed info)
Speed
Time (moving)
Distance
Avg. Speed
Page 2
Time of day
Temperature
Grade
Vertical Speed
Elevation
Calories

I didn't really want to clog it up with a lot of information that I didn't really need to be there in my face on the bike. Obviously most, if not all of it will be useful to look at afterwards, but there's only so much you need to have immediately available.

I must say, it seems a really good bit of kit so far, although I imagine once I get rides logged on the Garmin website etc it will really start to shine.

I don't think it will be long before I splash out on HR, cadence, and power sensors either, but that's going to get costly with two bikes to get them for.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Just been having a play with mine on my lunch break and have settled initially on these
qinping2.jpg

Has this image worked for anyone else? can't get it on the pc or tapatalk app...

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Lesley in the office next door must think I'm playing a mid 80's hand held Donkey Kong with all the beeping that's going on in here!

amaferanga

Veteran
I use one screen for instantaneous data fields and averages for the current lap (I like 6 data fields for this so 2 are big), one for the instantaneous data fields and whole ride averages (6 data fields) and one for miscellaneous other stuff (8 data fields). Most of mine are taken up by power metrics though so I won't bother posting what they are.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
I've not figured out how the lap data will be useful to me yet on standard commutes, leisure or club rides.

Is it more for strict training regimes where you're looking at maintaining targets over a set time/distance?

I've not figured out how the lap data will be useful to me yet on standard commutes, leisure or club rides.

Is it more for strict training regimes where you're looking at maintaining targets over a set time/distance?
A lot of my training is done on my commutes. I've set up each leg as a course and race myself. At the moment I'm capable of beating my previous best each day - but I know there'll be a time when this is difficult to do and that's when the benefits should begin (I hope).

In the 2 years since I've got back into cycling I've increased my top speed my 5-6 mph and the average on my commutes by 3mph. I know speed isn't everything but I figure my technique must have improved as well. When I 1st started again my cadence was around 60-65. It's now in the 85-95 range as an average.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
A lot of my training is done on my commutes. I've set up each leg as a course and race myself. At the moment I'm capable of beating my previous best each day - but I know there'll be a time when this is difficult to do and that's when the benefits should begin (I hope).

In the 2 years since I've got back into cycling I've increased my top speed my 5-6 mph and the average on my commutes by 3mph. I know speed isn't everything but I figure my technique must have improved as well. When I 1st started again my cadence was around 60-65. It's now in the 85-95 range as an average.
so if you set up a route as a course does it give you an indicator as to how you're currently performing against it?

so if you set up a route as a course does it give you an indicator as to how you're currently performing against it?
This is a problem I have at the moment that someone else has sent me some instructions about. I can see if I beat my previous time or not. I believe that I should be able to see myself against the virtual me from a previous best time. Not on the bike today - but will be trying this out tomorrow on the ride in.

Garz

Squat Member
Wonder if that would cheese me off on a commute? Every ride your 'best' time is ahead of you and you either can't be arsed or have the elements slowing you would be frustrating to say the least.

Top Bottom