garmin edge 520 or 820 or garmin touring ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Picked it up today , one question ..
skip phone sync when setting up garmin edge ?
can it be done as i have always connected to a pc , but seems you have to connect to a smartphone to set it up, its not a big issue but i dont take the phone that will have the app on when riding .
Doesn’t matter surely. You’ll just upload when you get home (at least that’s how my Wahoo
works when it connects to my home wifi)

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Doesn’t matter surely. You’ll just upload when you get home (at least that’s how my Wahoo
works when it connects to my home wifi)
its just the initial set up requires you to use the app.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The app is Garmin Connect. Once set up you don't need the phone with you, but it will automatically upload when you bluetooth connect to the phone when you get home. :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I never had any trouble with my Touring. It did/does what it says on the tin.

I don't use it much these days because I got my damaged Garmin Oregon replaced and prefer that for various reasons.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Not had chance to test it duh !
use my old 200 which i did a battery change on for commuting because its cheap and i have even left it on the bike in the sheds accidentally before now and its still there when i get back .
1st impressions after playing around last night are a bit smaller screen then the 800 but better maps and of course its all buttons rather than touchscreen which given my reynauds and glove wearing even in mid summer is a bonus.
Now the maps , caan i upload them to a pc andput them on the 800 ? i have read that garmin make the maps device specific ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you mean free maps?
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Google will tell you how to acquire these (it's not instantaneous)

I would have expected the Touring models to come with official Garmin maps though? Isn't that the point of them?
This from the link you posted initially for the 520

Garmin Edge 520 Plus GPS Cycle Computer Extra Info
  • Features advanced navigation, including new navigation alerts and the preloaded Garmin Cycle Map with turn-by-turn directions – on and off road.
I'm a bit lost as to what you bought and what you want to do. I doubt you can take preloaded maps from one device and put on another (for my 800, I got a Garmin map SD card from eBay for £30 or something, was a long time ago though). Unless the maps on the new device are on an SD card that you can transfer across?

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Do you mean free maps?
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Google will tell you how to acquire these (it's not instantaneous)
I meant just copy map's from 520 to 800

I would have expected the Touring models to come with official Garmin maps though? Isn't that the point of them?
This from the link you posted initially for the 520

Garmin Edge 520 Plus GPS Cycle Computer Extra Info
  • Features advanced navigation, including new navigation alerts and the preloaded Garmin Cycle Map with turn-by-turn directions – on and off road.
I'm a bit lost as to what you bought and what you want to do. I doubt you can take preloaded maps from one device and put on another (for my 800, I got a Garmin map SD card from eBay for £30 or something, was a long time ago though). Unless the maps on the new device are on an SD card that you can transfer across?

Top Bottom