Garmin Edge 520 Plus or Wahoo Element BOLT ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Those who use Garmin will say they are the best.
Those who use Wahoo will say they are the best.
I use Garmin and it is wonderful. Don't bother with Wahoo.

In reality neither company deliberately makes a bad product. Some folks want features on one unit that are of no interest to others.

Unless you can clearly say what you want - assuming you clearly know what you want - then you are as well reading the promo blurb, watching a couple of YouTube videos and then tossing a coin.

Last edited:
Garmin have had one or two reliability issues - whether this is down to the sheer number of units they sell as market leader - or the QC not being that good - who knows.

Don't expect it to work as well as a car sat nav either !

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t like the Wahoo mapping, it’s not intuitive or easy to read for me at all (Not that I’ve bothered with it much)

Also current issues with linking Wahoo to Strava in iOS which is annoying!

Drago

Legendary Member
Multiple Garmin owner, and I use another Garmin product for SAR work and it's been utterly dependable, works straight out the box, so I'd say Garmin.

But there are plenty of satisfied Wahoo owners put there.

Choose whichever tugs your rug.

I need a bike nav solution to escape my usual routes

This makes me think that you are looking for the unit to plan a route?
In my opinion that would be a mistake as no unit is particularly good at planning routes and the bolt itself only has basic route planning through the companion app.

Route planning is best done seperate to the unit.
cycle.travel is the best in my opinion, RWGPS, Komoot, Strava are other options, some free, some subscription and some a one off payment.
A worthy mention is due to Osmand a useful mapping, planning & navigating app.

With any unit I think it's important to have a really good think about what you want it to do and how.

Things like planning at home or on the road?
Technical abilities and integration to other apps (Wahoo is generally regarded as superior)
Map detail required (Bolt has very basic maps, Roam has detailed maps)
Geography? Wahoo include free world maps, Garmin only local.

It's a complicated gps world! Good luck!

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
You know what - I am not going to buy either. I can find my way around OK. I'm trying to avoid getting lost but in 20 years of riding I've always managed to get home no issues. I'm going to take my money and try and find my son a bike instead - which in itself is a task at the moment.

You know what - I am not going to buy either. I can find my way around OK. I'm trying to avoid getting lost but in 20 years of riding I've always managed to get home no issues.
If you have a smartphone do take a look at Osmand. I have used it for years (long before I got a gps) as my emergency get-me-the-hell-out-of-here.
Once the map is downloaded it works totally offline.
Again, cycle.travel is great for generating circular routes once you set the distance.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Im still using my Garmin 800 (its on its third battery change) and its been fine for getting on for 7 years, i like the colour/touch screen but i had to loaded Open Street maps on a few years ago as i needed maps for France , i do believe that the Wahoo has world maps on unlike the Garmin.

Top Bottom