Garmin Edge 520 vs 820

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I seem to recall seeing quite a lot of bad reviews because of buggy software on the 820. Depending what you need i would get a 520 or jump to a 1000 if you can afford one or have need for turn by turn navigation. ebay is also a good place to source a preowned ones for less.

I own the 520 and for what i use it for its perfectly fine. though Im not using it to its fullest as i dont log rides on strava

Last edited:

mattobrien

Guru
I have and like the 820. No issues with bugs and it suits my needs (training and navigation) better than the 520. Mrs O has a 520 and I previous had / still have in the drawer, a 510, so I have experience of both of those.

The only issue with the 820 is the price, Wiggle have the head unit for £308 at the moment, which seems a lot. I got mine for £250 at the start of the year.

Oh and if you're wanting to get something that is compatible with Stages power meters, look elsewhere. Stages will blame Garmin and Garmin will blame stages, but they don't work well together. I sent back my Stages as it was rubbish. No issues with any other PM brand I have used. Lesson here was avoid Stages.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I've had the 520 and now I have the 810, many say that the 810 is better than the 820 and they are, of course, much cheaper on the 'Bay, etc. I like the bigger 810 and its navigation capabilities. I liked the 520 for the fact that it is nice and tidy, plus it alerts you of SMS messages, which is groovy :smile:

Top Bottom