Garmin Edge 605 vs. Garmin Etrex Vista Hcx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The Etrex vista was the one i was looking at.
I dont buy from the internet though Bonj you peasant, well not anything as expensive as that.
Im going to try and get one from work so i can attempt to get 30% off it, then get the city navigator maps

Joe24

cheadle hulme said:
True, but the looks improve (slightly) if you ditch the Garmin bar mount and use a stem mounted version. Plus it has the added advantage of not breaking and sending your expensive toy into the road!

3864120385_3fc81733d6.jpg

Where do you get the stem mounting thingy?

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Can you put city navigator maps on the Etrex Vista Hcx?
yep.

Joe24 said:
And is the city navigator as good as it looks?
it is, and it will enable you to do turn by turn navigation. However, it isn't perfect. I've used it on audaxes where i've used 'on road' mode and it has suggested 'phantom' turns that haven't been part of the route.
What it basically does is use its algorithm to calculate the route from one point to the next, to the next, to the next etc. But if you've used a route creation website/program that uses snap to roads mode ASWELL, then there will be a lot of points, as the route creator has to put interim points in as well as the ones you click on - this makes for a lot of calculation, and therefore a lot of room for error. Remember a computer has no concept of a random curve, it has to be described by a series of small straight lines.

I think the turn by turn navigation is best if you just want to go to one certain point, rather than follow a route comprised of lots of points, then the unit's free to use its own algorithm in an unconstrained way.

If you want to follow a specific route that you've designed, the best way is to design it with route planning software NOT in follow roads mode, i.e. straight lines, and have as few points as possible to avoid cluttering, but have just enough so that the straight lines out of a junction exactly follow the road you want to go down from that junction, so that when you get to that junction the direction of the line will leave you in no doubt as to what choice to make there. Also be aware that what looks like a R.H. bend with a left turn on google might in fact be a straight on with a R.H. turn.

hope that all makes sense....

Going by the garmin site you can put it on the legend HCx, which attracts me more to that then the 605 which will be about the same with what ill use it for. But, if i get the Legend HCx, does it also have a trip computer and stuff on it? Or will i need to keep on my bike computer?

you can get it on DVD as well as memory card, if you get it on DVD it means you can use garmin's software (mapsource) on your pc without the internet to plot routes using the full maps.
however since discovering bikehike which is accurate and far better maps (google) than mapsource i'm not inclined to say that's quite as necessary as i would have.
The main thing im sort of wanting one to do is help me navigate on my bike, and also in the car in me and my GF go anywhere(thats not so important though, i can use maps if the gps wont really be any good) and tell me speed, distance, average and odo, if it can.

it can do all those stats and more.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
The Etrex vista was the one i was looking at.
I dont buy from the internet though Bonj you peasant, well not anything as expensive as that.
Im going to try and get one from work so i can attempt to get 30% off it, then get the city navigator maps

tell them to order it, they will do.
what's wrong with buying stuff off the internet though...;)

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
cheadle hulme said:
True, but the looks improve (slightly) if you ditch the Garmin bar mount and use a stem mounted version. Plus it has the added advantage of not breaking and sending your expensive toy into the road!

3864120385_3fc81733d6.jpg

I'd much rather stem mount the unit, where did you get the stem mount for the Vista Hcx from? Thanks

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
As I want a GPS for touring, am now more inclined to go the Vista Hcx route, espc. if it can be stem-mounted. Incidentally, this detailed review of the Edge 605 actually suggests that if you want a bike GPS more for navigation than training (which is cetainly what i want it for), then the Vista HCx is probably a better option...

I used a dremel cutting tool. To be honest, anything capable of cutting plastic would be fine.
Its hidden from view so doesn't need to be particularly neat.

Joe24

bonj said:
yep.

it is, and it will enable you to do turn by turn navigation. However, it isn't perfect. I've used it on audaxes where i've used 'on road' mode and it has suggested 'phantom' turns that haven't been part of the route.
What it basically does is use its algorithm to calculate the route from one point to the next, to the next, to the next etc. But if you've used a route creation website/program that uses snap to roads mode ASWELL, then there will be a lot of points, as the route creator has to put interim points in as well as the ones you click on - this makes for a lot of calculation, and therefore a lot of room for error. Remember a computer has no concept of a random curve, it has to be described by a series of small straight lines.

I think the turn by turn navigation is best if you just want to go to one certain point, rather than follow a route comprised of lots of points, then the unit's free to use its own algorithm in an unconstrained way.

If you want to follow a specific route that you've designed, the best way is to design it with route planning software NOT in follow roads mode, i.e. straight lines, and have as few points as possible to avoid cluttering, but have just enough so that the straight lines out of a junction exactly follow the road you want to go down from that junction, so that when you get to that junction the direction of the line will leave you in no doubt as to what choice to make there. Also be aware that what looks like a R.H. bend with a left turn on google might in fact be a straight on with a R.H. turn.

hope that all makes sense....

you can get it on DVD as well as memory card, if you get it on DVD it means you can use garmin's software (mapsource) on your pc without the internet to plot routes using the full maps.
however since discovering bikehike which is accurate and far better maps (google) than mapsource i'm not inclined to say that's quite as necessary as i would have.

it can do all those stats and more.

Is the bit on navigation how the edge 205 works aswell?
Maybe i need to PM or start up a new post about that?
How is it best to sort a route out on that? Do it how you say about straight lines, or just log the route on the programme you linked to Bonj(or another one if there is one) and go by that?
Really, i dont think i will need more then a line to follow.
Can you put in points of what to look for, IE a near village or something?
Also can you put in the points of a cafe, and save those into the 205, so if you need one it can point you in the direction of one(but obviously not work out the route for you)

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Is the bit on navigation how the edge 205 works aswell?
Yes. I think the software on them's pretty similar.
Only thing different is I think the etrex vista has a nicer 'odo/stats' screen, where you can choose what fields go on it -although you may be able to do that on the 205 as well, i'm not sure i had it for long enough to try.

How is it best to sort a route out on that? Do it how you say about straight lines, or just log the route on the programme you linked to Bonj(or another one if there is one) and go by that? Really, i dont think i will need more then a line to follow.

Then what i think you want is to use the unit in 'off road' mode as opposed to 'follow roads' mode.
When you've downloaded a route that you've created (how, i'll get to in a minute) to the unit, you choose the route, and choose navigate. It then asks you whether you want 'follow roads' mode or 'off road' mode. You want to choose 'off road' mode.
The advantage of off road mode is the line that it shows as your route is the exact same line that you drew when creating your route - NOT the line that IT has come up with (IT as in the unit, not the route creation software) that it *thinks* you want to take in order to visit all the *points* that your route is made up of, as it does in 'follow roads' mode. With me so far? ok - the advantage of follow roads mode is that in taking you along the line that IT has come up with, it has a concept of junctions, so it can prompt you before you get to them, with a nice little picture of the junction and a countdown in yards, like a car's sat nav. The *disadvantage* however, and (to me anyway) it is a big disadvantage, is that the line that IT has come up with to connect all the *points* of your route, may be wildly different from the route that you actually drew!

Can you put in points of what to look for, IE a near village or something?
Also can you put in the points of a cafe, and save those into the 205, so if you need one it can point you in the direction of one(but obviously not work out the route for you)

Yes, you can create 'waypoints' when creating your route, and they come up as little flags. i know how to create them on mapsource, not sure on bikehike but i'm sure you can.

If you *don't know* where there's a caff, and you just want any one nearby, then there is a 'points of interest nearby' mode where it will list all the POIs of various types - e.g. cash machine, train station, cafe, cinema, etc etc. and how far they are away. You can then choose one and navigate to it (it will have to use follow roads mode here, because you haven't already created the route to follow to that POI, so it will have to create it - but since it's only got one target destination, it can usually be trusted to do it correctly).

On off road mode, when following a route that you've created, it beeps and says something like 'approaching pt4' when you are approaching one of the points that you drew on a route.

for off road mode: what you want to do when creating the route is create just enough points to make the line indicate the way to go at junctions, but not too many to cause clutter (it puts a little label on the map for ech point, so if you have too many then when you're going through a village there will be a plethora of labels and these will obscure the roads, using bike hike in 'follow road' mode causes it to automatically put too many points on, which will cause obsurity. If you don't understand what i mean let me know and i'll draw a pic!
also make sure you understand the different between using 'follow roads' mode on the route creation software, e.g. bike hike, mapsource, and using follow roads mode on the unit itself.

Joe24

I think i get you Bonj.
The follow roads one will take you the way the garmin thinks the road goes, so at turns it could think theres a turn, but the off road mode is better because it goes by the line you have drawn on the computer then uploaded?
Having all the points can make a clutter of points, which can get confusing in a vilage.

The bit about the adding a POI of a cafe, i didnt think it would draw the line to the point?
It does have a POI in it so it can put points on of where cafes and other things on?
(this on the 205 or the HCx?)

andygates

Just pimping my free UK & IE Garmin map: http://ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps - updated most weeks from OpenStreetMap data. Works nice on all the units being discussed.

FWIW, if I wanted to use the GPS for general use (hiking, car), I'd go Vista; if I wanted to use it for training more, I'd go 605.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
I think i get you Bonj.
The follow roads one will take you the way the garmin thinks the road goes, so at turns it could think theres a turn, but the off road mode is better because it goes by the line you have drawn on the computer then uploaded?
Having all the points can make a clutter of points, which can get confusing in a vilage.
yep, exactly right.

The bit about the adding a POI of a cafe, i didnt think it would draw the line to the point?
It does have a POI in it so it can put points on of where cafes and other things on?
(this on the 205 or the HCx?)

It doesn't *show* POIs by default, as when you got to a village or town there would be lots of clutter - the screen would be covered in them, there's cash machines, garages, hotels, everything.

There's two ways of navigating to a POI. one, is you just add a way point onto your route at the location that you know where a particular one is, when you draw the route, and it shows up as a flag when you get to it. Easy.

The other, is what you would use if you're out, whether following an existing route or not, and you then suddenly decide you want to go to a certain type of POI, that you don't know where one is. You look in the POI menu on the unit, find the POI that you want, and just tell it to take you there. it then uses the unit's 'follow roads' mode to take you there, i.e. the unit makes up a new route from your current position to the POI's position. You can then resume the route that you may have been previously following in off roads mode if you want, but your line obviously won't show until you get on the same screen as it or you zoom out, I think it will just tell you what direction i.e. N, S, E, W, you need to go in though.

Top Bottom