Garmin Edge 605 vs. Garmin Etrex Vista Hcx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

akaAndrew

For me, the difference between the 2 devices is quite distinct and so a decision is relatively straight forward if you know what you intend to do.

If you have a touring or audax/long ride bias (i.e route finding/following) then the Vista - or indeed an Etrex - is the one you want. If you are more sports minded, and are interested in how you perform on that ride (speed, heart rate, cadence) then I reckon it's the Edge you want. Whilst the Edge 705 offers route finding, it is (imo) a compromise and if you are interested in it's route finding/touring potential then I honestly think you're better off with the Vista.

I had an Extrex in my early audax days. I liked it (though it did suffer from the known random power-off problem which I resolved by sticking a bit of paper on the batteries to stop them bouncing) and it was great for route following... but I also had a cycle computer to give me speed, time and cadence. PLUS I wore a heart rate monitor with the watch on my handle bars. And then I had lights... so my bars were getting full of bits.

To me, the decision to get an Edge 305 was obvious. It replaced three bits of kit with one AND freed up space on my bars!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Well im hoping to replace the cycle computers on both of my bikes for the GPS.
Route finding i am normally good at, so having a line to follow will just be simple. Ive never needed a map on a ride before, just memorised it and memorised road names, but thats normally for finding somewhere, not doing a route.
As i say, its just the city navigator maps that attracts me to the vista, because if me and my GF go anywhere and need it, i can use it then(she doesnt have a map in her car, and i doubt her parents have any either:sad: so being able to use it then might be useful:wacko:)

bonj2

Joe24 said:
The problems Bonj has are a concern, which puts me off the 605....

oxford_guy said:
...The problems that bonj encountered with the 605 are, of course, a concern, but I'm wondering if firmware updates would fix some/all of these?
They very well might, especially the corrupted tcx file issue, as that is mroe than likely a software bug. Garmin might also be very amenable to fixing the issue or replacing it.
However, both these things are 'might', not definitely.
It shouldn't do those things, so if you've bought a unit that has faults you're theoretically entitled to get those things fixed or a replacement/refund. But if it's genuine design fault, a replacement might have the same problem.
I don't want to put you off the 205/605 unnecessarily, it's entirely possible that one that you get might not have those issues or if it does that you'll be able to get them fixed, i'm just letting you know that i did have those issues.

Question is, if i get a vista HCX or a 205/605, can i use them instead of my bike computer and just get rid of the bike computer?
Yep. i can't think of anything a bike computer can do that either the 205/605 or vista hcx can't. A bike computer is just smaller.

The non rechargable batteries in the hcx puts me off aswel.
as oxford guy says, you can get rechargeable AAs, but the main thing is that they are *replaceable* - so if you are touring or doing a really long ride, you can just take spare ones and swap them.
The 205/605 *needs* to be back at its charger after 16 hours.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Im torn between the vista hcx, the 205 and the 605.
Depending on if my work can get them in and what price for, depends which one.
The problems Bonj has are a concern, which puts me off the 605.

I don't know, but would hazard a guess that any problems the 605 has, the 205 would also have. They are essentially the same unit, the 605's just got more functions.
(I wouldn't be surprised if they were in fact identical hardware.)

Tell you what i'll ask the guy on yacf that i sold my 605 to how he's getting on with it.

Joe24 said:
As i say, its just the city navigator maps that attracts me to the vista, because if me and my GF go anywhere and need it, i can use it then(she doesnt have a map in her car, and i doubt her parents have any either:sad: so being able to use it then might be useful:wacko:)

We've used it every time we've been on holiday. Great for finding your way around foreign cities on foot. If you want to use it in a car and don't already have sat nav, then it fits in most cradles designed for smart phones.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
BTW it seems that most people say that the eTrex Vista HCx is better for navigating than the Edge 605/705, but I'm not clear why, as (battery issues aside) the functionality appears to be very similar - what can the Vista HCx do that the 605/705 can't? Thanks

bonj2

oxford_guy said:
Obviously you can also get the city navigator maps for the 605/705, if that wasn't clear

just to be clear- you just get 'city navigator', you don't get city navigator FOR the 605, and as a different product city navigator FOR the vista - you just get 'city navigator' and it works with either. (but like i say only one unit for each license)

bonj2

oxford_guy said:
BTW it seems that most people say that the eTrex Vista HCx is better for navigating than the Edge 605/705, but I'm not clear why, as (battery issues aside) the functionality appears to be very similar - what can the Vista HCx do that the 605/705 can't? Thanks

personally i'm not sure there's much.
If it wasn't for the issues i'd experienced, or i could be bothered to try and get them fixed, and i succeeded, and i didn't need more than 16 hours battery life, a 605 or205 would do me fine.
someone else might shed more light.

There's a specific GPS sub forum on yacf by the way, and some quite knowledgeable people on there as well so you might try that. Not to try to shun people away from here, but just to maximise the benefit of experience.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
I guess what I mean is, are there any differences in navigation capabilities between the Edge 605/705 and eTrex Vista Hcx e.g. does the Edge 605/705 have a more limited number of waypoints than the vista hcx etc.? Thanks

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yes. I can't recall all of the details now, but for example the Edge 605 can store only 100 waypoints while the Vista HCx can store 1000. There are other such differences in routes, tracklogs, etc.

Joe24

What's the difference between the Vista HCx and the Legend HCx?
We have both at work, can order them in(and hopefully get a nice deal, got to talk to manager) but is there any difference between the 2? Only thing that i saw was different was was the barometer and electric compass?

Cheers:becool:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
There's a Compare function on the Garmin site that will allow you to compare the specs of different models within a range. (Rather annoyingly, you can't compare across ranges.)

Joe24

Only difference is the electronic compass and the Barometric altimeter, are these actually important, will i miss them if I don't have them?

Top Bottom